Retiling roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s detatched house which probably could do with being totally re tiled and having a membrane installed. The tiles are simple clay. The valleys have a lot of mortar falling into them with some loose tiles. The tiles at the Gables have separated out, there is no undercloaking and little mortar at the verges. It looks pretty shabby.
I have tackled plenty of internal renovation over the years with relative ease but have always taken my time if necessary. I am itching to give the roof a go but have no experience in roofing and from what I can see it must be very difficult to re-tile a detached house alone. Technically I would be ok and I know I would do a nice tidy job but timing would be a problem.
Has anyone tried this ?

Sponsored Links
You don't play around with roofs as it has a habit of raining in this country when you least want it to.

That said, there is no reason why you can't remove and re-tile in sections.

It sounds to me as though you have a plain clay roof with valleys (and hips) may be? If so, tread carefully as even the pros can get these wrong.

One bit of advice I will give you is to use dry valleys. Best thing ever invented for roofers. Don't let the lead purists put you off either.

Thanks for advice on the dry valleys. The roof I have to do is all valleys and verges. I guess the smaller pieces of tiles need clips to hold them in the dry valley. I would set up a few prototypes on the ground before starting to practice getting it right at the valleys and verges.
You are right about the weather. I would need to do it in sections but it is calculating how much I could do in a day (then halving it) and then getting it waterproof temporarily before finishing that evening that is tricky.

In the not-too-distant past when you could use the proper, traditional bituminous roofing felt, you could felt and temporarily batten one slope to keep the weather out. You could then work on that slope at leisure, getting the battens at the right spacings etc.
You can't do that with modern breather felts, I understand.

BTW, are you re-doing it in plain tile? If so, very £££££, but if you are doing the job yourself so that your labour is free, perhaps you could afford the luxury of plain tiles :)

Sponsored Links
The bituminous felts to the lay man seems more substantial for a temporary covering whilst work is in process. Some manufacturers of the breathable membranes claim they are suitable for temporary covering but I would want to test that out first. The thing is I wonder how long it takes to strip the tiles from one slope and then felt/membrane it plus adjoining valley and ridge and get it waterproof.
I didn't realise the plain clay tiles were more expensive but then I was thinking of re using most of them. I don't know how much it would save to do it myself but I have always admired a good neat job on a roof and it looks interesting work.

A guy opposite me asked for a reroof quote but decided, in his wisdom, to do it himself.

Not having experience of walking on a sloping surface and knowing how and where to step cost him dearly.

I ended up having to make it watertight whilst he was in hospital. Took him over a year to return to his 'real' job.

Be careful, it may not save you money in the end.

Good luck.

I don't think I would fall (well, not more than once) but the height may slow me down and could take some of the pleasure out of it. It is certainly very high at the top. A good scaffold would help. The first couple of days I would be a bit hesitant but after that I think I would be up and down with no problems.
Anyway there is a risk I don't deny that.
What I really wanted to ask is has anyone ever done this kind of work alone and if so how much can you get done in one day. For example can you take the tiles of one slope and get the membrane on that slope in one day by ones self. It would be easier if there was nothing perishable underneath ?

In the not-too-distant past when you could use the proper, traditional bituminous roofing felt, you could felt and temporarily batten one slope to keep the weather out. You could then work on that slope at leisure, getting the battens at the right spacings etc.
You can't do that with modern breather felts, I understand.
Eh, who told you that? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back