Retro fit air brick height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am going to fit Three air bricks in two rooms.

Two on external walls and one in the dividing wall.
Both rooms are in one outbuilding divided by a solid brick wall.

What is the correct height for the air bricks?

Would there be any benefit in putting the two exterior wall airbicks
at different heights, one low to draw cold air and one high to vent hot air?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi.

If possible aim to install the air bricks one brick course below the DPC that way you will not damage the DPC, that is the only thing between you and the ground water.

Remember that you will need to install a "liner" to bridge the cavity, if you fail to install this then you will be venting the cavity, not recommended.

Position is everything, that is you are installing the air bricks to ensure that there is a free flow of air under your suspended timber floors, think about position so that there are no "blank spots" where the air can "stagnate" meaning it does not have a flow of air and dampness can accumulate, probable best positions are near a solid dividing wall and also centrally within the area to be vented.

have fun.

Ken

Thanks for the advice Ken

I should have been more specific in my post.

The two rooms are in one outbuilding. There is a solid concrete floor.

Both rooms have upvc doors. I have fitted trickle vents to the wooden
double glazed windows.

They have a flat roof (felted) and there is no heating or insulation in either room.

There is still a bad condensation problem, water drips off the joists some mornings.

My idear to fit a air brick high on the wall to vent heat
should be to vent warm moist air.

The low airbrick draws in cold air and falls. Warm moist air rises
and vents through the high airbrick.

Instead of the warm moist air hitting the cold ceiling and condensing
it would vent to outside? Would this work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I doubt air bricks alone will solve your condensation problem. But generally, they should be 1800 from the floor and 300 in from a corner and opposite corner to any door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back