Retrofiting undertile heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our current kitchen floor is a bit tatty, the tiles have been down about 10 years, were never sealed and are dirty, a few are cracked. It's all down on a solid concrete base without insulation, so not looking forward to this winter as the floor gets rather chilly.

The 2 options are to lay vinyl over the whole lot, or retile, but the latter option seems a little pointless unless we incorporate insulation of some kind.

The big Q is: After removing the current tiles, how much concrete (depth) will have to be removed if I then want to lay down 10mm insulation board/screed/heat mat/adhesive/tiles?

...and how best to get the concrete up to an even depth.

Not looking to replace anything else as the units are only 18 months old so will tile just under the units. The kitchen is only small, will probably just need a 2sqm heating mat for the area that gets walked on.

We've plenty of sockets so can happily lose one to connect up the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
just stick insulating boards onto the concrete lay the ufh and tile directly onto it. you will then have 10mm board 5mm adhesive under the board 10mm ties and 2-3mm ufh. overall roughly 30mm thickness where as now you will have about 15mm thicness depending on existing tiles

You mean I can the whole lot in 30mm depth? so if removing tiles and adhesive gets rid of 15mm I'll be raising from current level by 15mm.

I didn't realise you could tile straight onto the thermal boards, I always thought you needed to screed on top. Do the thermal boards need to be laid on a bed of adhesive, or should I just screw them into the concrete?

Sponsored Links
you stick the boards down with adhesive mate. warmup do ufh and boards to match. just google warmup and it should be easy to find from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back