Retrofitting lateral restraint ties and binders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to improve the wind bracing and lateral restraint of a 1960s traditional rafter and purlin roof. I know in new construction the return length of the tie would act mid block on the cavity side of the inner course.

What options are there when retrofitting these?
Is simply bolting to inner face of blockwork sufficient?

Similarly I wish to place a 200x75mm to span over ceiling joists between loadbearing walls to reduce possible deflections as I use the loft for some additional storage.

Should the fixing of beam to joists be a coach bolt or is there a bracket/strap alternative.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a roofer or builder, so take that into account when considering any advice I give here..

there are straps available that are flat and take a quarter turn halfway along it. I think that these are for securing top plates to walls though, but would serve the purpouse you want..

I am looking to improve the wind bracing and lateral restraint of a 1960s traditional rafter and purlin roof. I know in new construction the return length of the tie would act mid block on the cavity side of the inner course.

What options are there when retrofitting these?
Is simply bolting to inner face of blockwork sufficient?

Similarly I wish to place a 200x75mm to span over ceiling joists between loadbearing walls to reduce possible deflections as I use the loft for some additional storage.

Should the fixing of beam to joists be a coach bolt or is there a bracket/strap alternative.

High GW,

Facing very similar issues to you. In addition, almost 20 years ago, some idiot of a plumber put five 3/4" holes in the space of just 12" along one of the 4"x2" "binders" (binders? :LOL:) so, like you, I am looking to upgrade the bracing / binding / hanging of joists. Did you settle on a solution for connecting the reinforcing binders with the existing joists and if so, would you mind sharing it? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back