Reuse solvent weld strap-on boss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I fitted a new soil pipe on the outside of my house at the weekend and thought i's done a pretty good job.

The pipework cosnists of a vented 3" down pipe.

I've joined a 40mm waste from my shower at the top of the pipe with a push fit strap-on boss which appears fine - no leaks.

However, i have also attached a 40mm waste lower down the soil pipe which comes from the washing machine in the garage. Now, i do have a small admission to make in that when i drilled the hole for this boss it was slightly out of position so i widened it using the holesaw - probably only by a millimetre or so. The boss still appeared to still fit tightly so i glued it all in place.

Anyway, i have checked today when the wife was in the shower and there appears to be a leak coming from this lower solvent weld strap-on boss. I guess the water is running down the inside surface of the soil pipe and then leaking out from the where i fitted the boss.

My questions are... firstly, any general suggestions as to how to proceed?

Secondly, can i remove the strap-on boss and try re-using the same one but lagging on loads more solvent where it joins the pipe to try an seal it? Or should i be using some sort of gap filling cement or even silicone sealent?

I want to do a permanent fix rather than a temporary one.

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
If you welded it on you need a new one.

You may peel it off carefully using a small wood chisel.

Why bother for the sake of a couple of quid. Remove old one, clean up soil pipe, wire wool aint bad. Fit new one, make sure you glue part of the straps as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back