Reusing a shower circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, First time poster, long time reader with a query if anyone can help. I have just removed an old electric shower from my house, and had hoped to reuse the circuit for a couple of plugs in the attic. The CU has a 32-amp fuse in and only ran the shower. It runs up into the attic splits at a junction box for the pullcord and then the shower itself.

Would it be ok to reuse this for some mains power? I'd like one as a fused spur for a power strip in a small data cabinet and the other for a dual mains socket. I would clearly label the board and sockets.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Sponsored Links
Yes, perfectly all right. After all, it's been used for mains power up to now ... If it's a 32A breaker presumably (?) it's a 6mm cable. If you junction that and run 2.5 mm feeds to your sockets (easier to work with than 6mm) swap the breaker for a 16A and treat the circuit as an ordinary radial.

PJ

Yes, perfectly all right. After all, it's been used for mains power up to now ... If it's a 32A breaker presumably (?) it's a 6mm cable. If you junction that and run 2.5 mm feeds to your sockets (easier to work with than 6mm) swap the breaker for a 16A and treat the circuit as an ordinary radial.

PJ

16A... why not 20A? thats the normal breaker size for 2.5mm radial is it not?

Sponsored Links
Or if you want to future-proof the circuit, use 4mm² and keep the 32A. Then, if you ever use heaters or whatnot, you've got the capacity.

Ok, thanks for the input, good to know it'll be ok to use. I think I'll stick to 32A with the existing cable and just put my sockets on the end. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back