revamping an old bathroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - this may be a bit of a stupid question, but here goes ... :rolleyes:

In a bathroom with a very dated burgundy bath/toilet/sink, are there any easy/cheap alternatives to replacing the whole lot? Are there any paints, coatings etc that could be used to magically transform the manky burgundy into stunning white?

Told you it was a bit stupid - but any advice greatly appreciated.
It's for a friend - honest!

Sponsored Links
what is it all made of? if its fibreglass i very much doubt it as colour is "in" the gel coat.

a new suite although costs more will be better in the long run.

As far as I know it's a pretty bog-standard 'plastic' bath - so it that fibreglass?
I've just found a bath resurfacing product here - looks like that might do the job?

dont think so, site you mentioned does not mention fibreglass / plastic, only ceramic./ enamel

still it does say you can call

Sponsored Links
If you wanted to get anything near a good finish the coating would have to be sprayed on. The technique to getting a good finish is to get the preparation right which means a lot of work. To spray the bath is quite straight forward if you have the right kit (HVLP would give off the least dust), but spraying the toilet would not be worth the time and effort. I would suggest you go to a reclamation yard and have a look about. I picked up a full ceramic bathroom set and cast iron bath for under £300 .( the shower tray alone was worth more thab that new) B&Q can do complete suites (plastic) for silly money as can your local plumbers supplies. Changing it over would not be too much work for a competent DIYer or if you are on good terms with any plumbers.

Call me stupid if you want but B & Q and Focus Do Naff All etc are all doing full enamelled white bathroom suites, bath, basin, pedestal n ****ter in white for sub-£200. Like I said call me stupid but the way I think thats cheap! :) Guess what Im doing when I move in my new house with pink suite ;)

Bought the Madrid suite from B&Q, Bath, Basin, Pedestal, Close Coupled WC with seat, Wastes & modern mixer Taps, for £299. fitted three months ago, and looks great.

I'd personally recommend Dovcor Bathrooms as we've just bought one off them and it's fantastic. They deliver for free too which is also a bonus :) for what you get the price is amazing.... and there is a competition on at the moment where you can win a load of bathroom furniture :)

Bathroom Suites

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back