Bathroom Needs Updating - But not re-tiling or new suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will probaby be too simple for this forum - excuse me if it is - the panelling on our bath is 'antique pine' (it said in the bathroom shop) - but it's beginning to lift at the corners - and the 'antique pine' cupboard /vanity unit round the sink is looking tatty. Also, the 'gold' taps aren't gold - we've cleaned them with something and it's gone.
Also the plug hole bit.

Can you paint the antique pine? Can you replace it with new panelling? - how do you replace bath taps if the bath's all boxed in ?

The tiling's lovely, just needs a bit of regrouting - and the suite's ok.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome roberto62 :D :D :D :D

"probably to simple for this forum" :D :D

then a simpleton like me be ok then ;)

i assume your pannels and cabinet are chipboard or mdf with plastic covering if so they need replacing as they are shot !!!

your taps ect will also need replacing i am afraid your talking around £200 plus labour for cabinet panels and taps :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would take the £200 with a pinch of salt (no offence to big-all, but he should know better)

How does he know what new taps you want?
How does he know how how much new "laminate / paneling" is required?
How does he know how easy access is to your bathroom?
How does he know about parking near your abode? (cost of parking)
How does he know how much labour rate is in your area?

Answers to the above are all the same, he doesnt. he is just telling you what you want to hear. a nice price

Best option is to get some one in and ask them how much as they can see what is involved, we can't

I would take the £200 with a pinch of salt (no offence to big-all, but he should know better)

How does he know what new taps you want?
How does he know how how much new "laminate / paneling" is required?
How does he know how easy access is to your bathroom?
How does he know about parking near your abode? (cost of parking)
How does he know how much labour rate is in your area?

Answers to the above are all the same, he doesnt. he is just telling you what you want to hear. a nice price

Best option is to get some one in and ask them how much as they can see what is involved, we can't

plus labour breeze ;)

are they chipboard or mdf with a 1mm plastic wood print!!!

The prossecution rests :LOL:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oh and for £176.16 Clicky you can get a whole new suite.

Other suppliers of bathroom suites are available.

Please also bear in mind you get what you pay for

blimey breezer your jumping a bit lol :D :D

thank you for checking my calculations thats what i like if we make a mistake we can realy on our mates to make shure we get it right l o l ;)

more off a misunderstanding in this instance :D

£200 was materials only
most furniture is mdf/chipboard core with a paper print in plastic to seal it

thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. I think Big-All was just giving me a very rough estimate of the cost - i'm more worried about having to have the bathroom re-tiled if we make any alterations.

I think Big-All was just giving me a very rough estimate of the cost .

That is not how it reads, he clearly said

i am afraid your talking around £200 plus labour

He never said or simialr to "a rough estimate will be..........."

Also as i then went on to point out you can get a whole suite for less than said estimate (People do buy it or else it would not be sold)

My whole point is no one should NEVER ask on a forum how much will any job be.

The reason why is there are too many variables and what are you going to do do when you do get an actual quote from some one who is actaully looking at the job and they say £400 mate, are you really going to say, well some one i dont know, that i will never meet, on a forum i have just joined said it will only be £200.

There used to be forum rule 9 which said similar to "do not ask for prices as they an not be g'teed or relied upon" but admin saw fit to remove this rule.

a no longer posting member would often add "can't see it, can't quote it"

Please also note I bear no ill will to either of you. its just always been a bad idea to ask for prices / costs on a forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back