Revarnishing a door to a lighter colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is feasible. Our living room door has glass panels in the top half and has been varnished in mahogany. I would prefer to have it in oak to match the furniture. Similar story for the downstairs bathroom door (no glass).

Varnish remover, sand down and revarnish?
Or do something else (I've seen wood bleach in searches but they're US based)?
Or just buy a new internal door?

Sponsored Links
Less work to replace, you can remove existing with paint stripper but needs a clean finish to change colour.

Less work to replace
I'd be doing it myself if replacing. I reckon I could have a go at fitting hinges and mortise for door handle mechanism. Not sure how easy it'd be for a beginner.

you can remove existing with paint stripper but needs a clean finish to change colour.
If I used stripper + sanded down, would it suffice? Or would I need to do anything else?

You would need to scrape off stripper then clean with white spirit and 000 wire wool( water would raise the grain leaving a rough surface)

Sponsored Links
I think you risk a lot of hard work, only to be disappointed with a blotchy finish.

Id buy new!

If you really want to have a go, buy professional stripper online -diy stuff is far too weak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back