Reverse Circulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I would be grateful for any assistance you could provide. Boiler is an Ideal Classic, fully pumped on a Y plan system in a bungalow. Boiler and cylinder are downstairs and pump,tanks and valve in loft. Completely renewed professionaly from a gravity system in the late 1990's. The system was providing heating via the rads when only hot water was demanded. The complete 3 port valve was exchanged on Monday although the problem has now returned. I tried to just change the actuator head but the problem still remains. I have heard it may be a reverse circulation problem but could the new head also be at fault ? Should I try exchanging the head or is there an easy way to check for reverse circulation ?

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can we assume it's done this for the last 15 years or just started.

Probably find the valves been fitted the wrong way round or wired up wrong.

How many rads get hot? Reverse cculation usually does it on only a couple.

Pump's not in backwards is it ? That would cause reverse circulation which could heat all the rads! That's cos the valve only works properly one way round.

Problem only recently started. The valve wiring was checked today and valve found to be moving correctly. Valve also fitted round the correct way, b for bath. Apparently a rad was added in the last couple of years and this, somehow, is causing the system to back circulate. With hot water only on, the pipes to the hall rad, start to heat up, return pipe getting hotter first. If heating is also turned on then the return cools slightly and the flow pipe heats up. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all the help :confused: Looks like some repipeing is needed.

Sponsored Links
I have a slight problem with your wording.

if the problem is the new rad then the problem would exist from then and not recently.

I would expect by the sound of it and you can test by turning that rad off, that the heating flow has been taken off before the motorised valve, or the return has been connected to the common return

fitz1 said:
Wouldnt a non return valve surfice.

Possibly if he can ID the exact pipe where the connection is wrong, first test would be to turn that rad off on it's valve and see if the circulation stops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back