Reverse extractor fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

we suffer - at times - from condensation in the garage. It's a double, single skin, apex roof, no real insulation at all. Wife insists on parking her car in there (been a bit wet recently), and we live in a wooded valley. So at times we get no air flow at all through the garage for days.

So - we have no heating in there, and I think any sort of electric heating will get lost in the space and be deeply ineffective

other alternative is air flow. I have two old extractor fans from various bathroom redevelopments; one an old inline fan which I've rigged up to extract, and one a QF100T which I've rigged up to pull air in

Which do people think would be best (or indeed both together, or even neither as it's pointless)

The inline definitely moves more air - you can feel the difference. The Qf100 I was hoping would act almost like a PIV, but obviously it will be pulling damp air in a lot of the time

Any thoughts? Or just try for a day on each, and see which is best. Neither costs a lot to run, but whether I should be running them 24/7 is another issue...

madge

Sponsored Links
Has it got many vents/can you fit more?

Maybe build a car port to keep the wet car outside?!

water vapour is lighter than air so will rise to the apex, put your extractor up there. You might do better to have open louvres at the top, let it ventilate like a rain-proof outside shed or carport. If you have one at each end and one at the side, any breeze or air movement will cause airflow.

If a wet car is going inside, don't have any uncovered tools, lawnmowers etc, they will quickly rust.

Sponsored Links
You won't stop condensation by moving air - that's the remedy for preventing mould.

The cure for condensation is to remove moisture from the air or remove cold surfaces that air can condense on. And you won't be able to do either of those.

Agree with woody, you need either heat or dehumidification.
If it's a coild night everything will get cold, then when it warms up you'll blow all the warm damp air in which will condensing on the cold stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back