Reversing the bath to face opposite wall?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically we have just removed a bath + tiles from the bathroom and we would like to install a bath shower riser, but the area where the taps originally were, are not suitable to install a shower because it is basically facing a window with a ledge.
IMG_20150621_143013.jpg

The only way i think this is possible is to turn the bath around 180 degrees and to extend the plumbing to the other side of the bath. I think the waste will be a very simple job as it is just extending the original (brown) pipe which is already there but in regards to the hot/cold pipes will it be best to use a pipe cutter to cut the pipes down and then use a long (50cm) flexible tap connector?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could leave the bath where it is and just put the shower the opposite end ?

• Thanks
Reactions: NHW
Supply pipes will need re-routed the full length (1700mm min) of the bath, if turning it around?? Not sure what you mean by wanting to use 500mm flexi's?

I would avoid using flexi's where possible especially when using a shower mixer tap with shower outlet. Minimise any loss any flow & keep it 22mm to the taps if possible.

• Thanks
Thanks for the replies so far.

Avonmouth - Sorry i might have not mentioned, it would be one of those showers which is basically a bath/shower mixer tap. So to have the shower on the opposite end i would need to ensure that the taps are on the opposite end (left hand side on the picture).

Madrab - In regards to rerouting the pipes would that be a case of cutting down the original pipe, putting an elbow on it, extending it so that it runs across to the opposite side and then putting another elbow on it?

I think what i had in mind was just using a really long flexi hose so that it would go all the way to the other side without having to reroute/extend the original piping. But to be honest i hadn't had a good experience in regards to flowrates when i used a flexi on a previous bath install and ended up reverting back to the original piping.

Sponsored Links
As Madrab says, the length of pipe required would be more like 170cm and not 50cm. Yes, it's just a case of fitting elbows to the existing pipes and running them up to your new tap/shower but closer to the floor so that you can clip them and also clear the bottom of the bath. Ideally they should be done in copper (just my preference) but if you don't fancy doing that I suppose you could use plastic pipe and fittings (Speedfit), better than long, long flexis.
When cutting the old pipes use a pipe slice (not a hacksaw) and make sure that where you cut the pipes is perfectly round with no flat spots or old solder in the way which will hamper any new fittings.

• Thanks
cut the pipes,use two elbows,two lengths of pipe and two flexi's.Push fit will do if you don't want to use solder or compression.
Extend the waste with a piece of pipe but you may need to cut the vertical bit of waste so as the elbow sitis on the floor boards and that will give you a good fall from the new trap position.

Don't think you would get a flexi that length but I've been surprised before but no I wouldn't use them

As you can see there are several suitable approaches.

I would use copper and direct the pipe towards the wall at the back, left along the wall, then left back into the centre to the taps as the bath frame would get in the way otherwise. You would also need to clip the pipe to the wall.
If you're doing it yourself but still want it really tidy then you could use 2 full bore 22mm ISO valves, 8 x 22mm JG speedfit elbows, 22mm plastic barrier pipe, 2 x 22mm>3/4" push fit tap connectors and say 8>10 clips and a proper pair of plastic pipe shears and follow the pipe run as mentioned.

Using flexi's is a personal preference I have found and is usually down to experience and gauging if the pressure and flow is suitable. As gary mentions, check which is the hot feed on your pic as it would usually be on the left as you look at the taps, not the right.

• Thanks
I was taught cold always on the right for the blind ..taps always come with cold on the right

Depends who taught you then ?
My foreman MANY years ago always told me hot on the inside and their are hundreds of baths plumbed in like that by me and my fellow plumbers on a huge new town build.Perhaps it's changed since the late 70's but this is the way i will stick to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back