Reviving a tired worktop - oil or wax or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a kitchen solid wood worktop, like this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/worktop-dark-oak-3m/invt/212999/
It's been sitting in the dust and muck while I've done everything else (bought it ages ago on sale) and I've just cut it to size. I think it's oak but can't be completely sure, so if it the advice would be different for, say, beech, please let me know

I have bought some Dark Oak Briwax, and some Danish Oil from Toolstation. What should I do to make it look good again and protect it. It's not going in a kitchen, it's a built-in desk and in a laundry room, so it shouldn't have to put up with water, but there will be damp clothes, and maybe coffee cups or wet glasses etcetera.

- Do I need to do anything to prepare it (although it's solid wood I think it has been stained so don't think I can really sand it)?
- Which product should I use, or if both then in which order?
- How many coats, and how regularly afterwards for this type of use (I don't know how many it had when I bought it from Wickes)?

Also, what's the best way of finishing off round the edges, where the wall isn't completely straight? They do an upstand but I'm not sure it would match exactly, and it's 45 quid which is a bit of a ripoff. Could I get away with silicone and satin paint if I masked it carefully, or would that just look rubbish?

Thanks,

Chris

PS. Sorry about the duplicate post, went through twice but I can't find any way of deleting one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back