rewired light - permanently on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help....i've removed the ceiling rose. ...terminated the lives...earthed it..wired the live of the light to the switched live...and the neutral to the neutrals...but it is permanently on? There is a black wire with a brown sleeve I've wired that as switched live...there is another grey wire with a blue sleeve I've wired that as neutral.....what have I done wrong....very confused please help i'm useless..do you think the neutral and the switched live could have been tagged incorrectly or is it just me....thank you sarah

Sponsored Links
Live with switch wire live in loop,
black with brown sleeve to live on fitting,
blacks and blue to neutral terminal,
earth to earth

that's what I've done...but the light is always on..???? err maybe not i thought the black wire with brown sleeve was the swiched live...is it not?

I've put the lives from the ceiling in a termination block....the neutrals including the grey with blue sleeve into block and attached the neutral from the light. Then I've put the balck and brown sleeve wire into another block and attachd the live from the light...then earthed it...what have i done wrong???

all colour of cables would be nice,
If reds all red together in seperate terminal called loop or plastic connection block with nothing else!
Then your neutral and the blue to neutral terminal on fitting,
one wire left with brown sleeve on to live of fitting brown flex side of lamp.

Sponsored Links
there are three heads to this light...so there are three wires from the light...the problem couldn't be because i've wired one light into the same side of the block as the neutrals from the ceiling? (cause i thought they just needed to be connected to eachother so it didn't matter)..it's the only thing i can see that's a bit weird

so what colours have from light fitting and colours of cable from ceiling?
Don't think because the light fitting has a live terminal point on it, that is where the lives go, it's allocated for the returning cable via your switch which is likely to be the black with the brown sleeve. All neutral cables go to the neutral terminal of light and the earths to earths. If no provisions are made for the rest of the live cables on the fitting, a plastic terminal connector block is used to terminate the lives together.

Thank you for putting up with me...

Right..there are two cables coming out of the ceiling

from one 4 wires - earth, grey with blue sleeve, black with brown sleeve, brown

from other 3 wires - brown blue earth

light -three blues, three browns and an earth

my connection block is a block of 4

need to open the switch and see what's in there..

is this light in a bathroom perchance?
do you have mains interlikned smoke detectors?

sorry for the delay...just realized someone was coming round and house was def not baby proof....

Had a look in switch

Into the back of the switch there are three wires brown brown and black with brown collar

from wall there is a double earth, blue and grey

Its not in the bathroom but we do have one mains smoke detector in the hallway...its an extra light in my daughters bedroom hideyhole

Remember - a lot of the experience guys are at work.

I for one am struggling to follow your description. Please list for the ceiling rose and the switch the following

How many cables come in (a cable has a second layer of insulation - normally grey or white - around the separrately insulated conductors) We would expect two or three to the ceiling rose, one at the switch.

How many conductors are in each cable and what colour insulation they have (include the earth conductor which should have green and yellow sleeving) tell us which, if any, have sleeving or tape to identify them as a differnet colour to the insulation.

Is this light switched from one location or two (like a landing light). If there ae two or more switched list the above for each.

A picture saves a thousand words.

sorry I was only joking didn't mean to be rude...

There are two cables coming out of the ceiling.

1st cable has four conductors -

earth
grey wire with a blue sleeve
black wire with a brown sleeve
brown wire

2nd cable has three conductors

brown wire
blue wire
earth wire

the light has three spots
so it has three neutrals
three live
one earth

It has one switch to turn it on I've connected all the lives together in a termination block. I've connected the three brown wires to the 'black wire with the brown sleeve'. The two blue wires and the 'grey wire with the blue sleeve' i've connected to the blue wires of the light. Then connected the earth.

Hope this makes sense

Thank you!!

your description of the switch wires leaves a lot to the imagination..
a picture paints a thousand words.. can you upload us some photo's of the back of the switch and the wires attatched to it and the wires coming out of the ceiling..

Into the back of the switch there are three wires brown brown and black with brown collar

from wall there is a double earth, blue and grey

this sounds like there are 5 wires to me... ( not counting earths )?

2 browns in 1 hole, black sleeved brown in another hole in the switch and then the blue and grey in a connector block in the back of the switch?

this would indicate that the grey with blue sleeve and black with brown sleeve wires are the ones you want in the light.. which you say you have done and won't switch off.

i'm struggling with the discription of the wires here.
if this light is switched from a single place, there are no smoke alarm interconnection, then i don't immeadiately see what you would have a grey sleeved to blue?

a picture of the ceiling wires/cables and a pic of the wires behind the switch may help here. ;)

(edited to try to at least spell some words correctly)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back