Rewiring and loft insulation - order to do them in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm goign to put loft insulation in and also get the house rewired. Is it best to do the loft insulation first so the sparkie can run the wires over the insulation?

Sponsored Links
Wiring first - your electrician will be pleased not to have to dig through the stuff all the time and to know where the joists are - moving around in a loft with insulation over the joists (which is what you get these days) is a nightmare.

In fact, as an aside I'd recommend that if you think you'll ever want to use the space for storage you don't put roll insulation over the top - use rigid insulation or composite boards.

Tell the electrician about the insulation plans so that he can deal with any non-lighting cables up there.

Hopefully you don't have and don't plan to add any recessed lights?

He will not be wanting to drill through trusses in the loft. they are not designed to be turned into swiss cheese.

A decent sparky will know the best way and route for the cables/ This will depend a lot on your roof construction/

Sponsored Links
you should always notch out the joists and timbers in lofts and never dril them you can fit safe plates to cover the cables thats what i do at work.

He's back.

s6nlzl.jpg

you should always notch out the joists and timbers in lofts and never dril them you can fit safe plates to cover the cables thats what i do at work.

what would be the point of that in a loft when theres unlikely to be a floor?

You're a crazy person. What about the structural integrity of the roof? These days, roof timbers are at their bare minimum size. Holes, notches etc will weaken the structure.

There's no point, there are much better ways to run cables than what you are suggesting.

Err...

Put your deerstalkers on chaps...

I'm goign to put loft insulation in and also get the house rewired.

It's unlikely to be a house new enough to have those abominable not-1mm-to-spare roof trusses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back