REWIRING AT FUSEBOARD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My present electrical system has an 8 way fuseboard - two 10A fuses for lighting and six 20A fuses for sockets. There is a seperate fuse feeding cooker line. A 100A on/off switch feeds mains to the board.

I have fitted a new kitchen. I am using seperate RCBO's to feed hob and double oven. I have a question for the experts.

Should I feed the output of the on/off switch to a junction box and take seperate feeds to the old fusebox and RCBO's?

Alternatively, should I obtain mains for the RCBO's by connecting to the busbars of the old fuse box?

I have worked for a long number of years as an electronic engineer but I appreciate that the heavy stuff is a different ballgame.

I would appreciate any help.

many thanks

james

Sponsored Links
you will need a new consumer unit for the new circuits. If your old unit is old it would be better to transfer the old circuits into the new CU (with appropriate testing and rectification).

If you want to use two CUs, you need a 25mm tails from your 100A DP Main switch into a Henley Block; then a pair of tails to your old and your new CU.

the 100A switch should be marked "Main Switch" since it will turn off all circuits.

It might be worth having a Earthing Block separate to the CUs, where you can gather together the Suppliers earth and your main bonds, and the 16mm earths to each of your CUs.

I don't know what regulations apply in Ireland for testing and certification.

Are you sure you mean RCBOs?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back