Fuseboard in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, me again

In my "new" house there seems to be a switched light and an outside style socket in the attached garage but no seperate fuseboard. It seems to run back to its own tripswitch on the main fuse board.

I want to extend it to add a couple more sockets (Freezer & tumble dryer etc) and 3 or 4 more outside lights.

Am I ok just extending the current circuit or should I consider putting a seperate consumer unit in the garage. If so, is this something I can do or should I be calling in an electrician.

The wiring is all new and on a central trip switch system if that helps.

Thanks

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
newtodiy123 said:
In my "new" house there seems to be a switched light and an outside style socket in the attached garage but no seperate fuseboard. It seems to run back to its own tripswitch on the main fuse board.
what rating is the breaker at the CU?
what size is the cable?
is there any seperate fuse for the garage light?

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Not actually in house yet, moving in soon. So don't actually know

I suppose the light and socket are on different trips.

Can you make some guesses and give me some general advice for now !!

Sorry not to be any more help

Thanks if you can

:oops:

a seperate CU isn't really needed for an attatched garage but depending on the existing wiring it may or may not be the easiest way to extend it.

Sponsored Links
When you move into the house have another look at how it is done. As it is an attached garage it probably doesn't need its own CU. You might find it has a 20A radial for the sockets, which is fine, you can add a few more sockets if you like.

the garage light might be on a FCU off the radial, or it might be off house lighting.

If it is quite a new house it will probably have an RCD protecting the sockets, at least downstairs and garage, which is also fine.

If you decide to install arc-welding equipment, a pottery kiln or paint-drying oven you might need to upgrade the supply and think about an extra CU. Otherwise, they are usually only worth having on detached outbuildings.

newtodiy123 said:
Can you make some guesses

President Bush is wearing red boxers today?

It will rain tomorrow on East Avenue in Lincoln?

3 people will die next week in DIY related incidents?

Is that enough guesses?

Perhaps he meant the one on Bracebridge Heath, or in Brant Broughton.

JohnD said:
Perhaps he meant the one on Bracebridge Heath, or in Brant Broughton.

*looks closely at map* oh so there is :oops: whats worse, is its less than half a mile from me :oops: (live in BBH)

Never mind Lincoln, did anyone find out what colour are the presidents pants?

CAN WE GET BACK TO THE TOPIC GUYS & GALS !!

If i did want to install a separate CU in the attached garage, how would I go about it.

I want a ring of sockets (including a couple of weather proof ones outside)
A ring of lights (possibly one to an adjacent shed) an Electric Garage door opener and security lights back and front.

Main CU is under stairs, which backs onto the garage wall

All help greatly received. I want to try to do it myself but am just a little worried I won't be able to do it.

I wil need the replies in very basic but detailed language

Thanks

I still say this.

JohnD said:
When you move into the house have another look at how it is done. As it is an attached garage it probably doesn't need its own CU. You might find it has a 20A radial for the sockets, which is fine, you can add a few more sockets if you like.

the garage light might be on a FCU off the radial, or it might be off house lighting.

If it is quite a new house it will probably have an RCD protecting the sockets, at least downstairs and garage, which is also fine.

If you decide to install arc-welding equipment, a pottery kiln or paint-drying oven you might need to upgrade the supply and think about an extra CU. Otherwise, they are usually only worth having on detached outbuildings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back