rf modulator problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I have a virgin box downstairs with the old style rf aerial connections. from this a cable runs to a tv multipoint which sends the virgin signal to the kids bedrooms. this has worked perfectly well for the last five years.
I`m now looking at getting a virgin tivo box downstairs. this has a scart connection ( no rf).I`ve bought an rf modulator connected it by scart to my virgin box and connected the old aeriel cable from the modulator to the tv multipoint. at this point I lost the tv service in the kids bedrooms. the modulator has multiple channels (21-69) and I`ve run through all these but still have no tv upstairs.anyone got any idea how to fix this? In theory it should work, and does for other peoples set ups, but not for me.
thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the Tivo box has a HDMI connection as well as SCART? Certain cable boxes allow one or the other to be live, but not both together. That's worth checking.

I'm not familiar with the term "multipoint". Do you mean "RF distribution amplifier with X outputs"? Please be specific.

What do you mean by "have no TV upstairs"? I assume that you do have a TV upstairs, otherwise you'll be watching a blank wall. Do you mean "the aerial signal is no longer tunable on the TV upstairs" or "the Virgin channel is not tunable on the TV upstairs"?

Please try to express what you DO see, rather than using vague negatives. Also please give an accurate description of the connections because, at present, it appears that you have no aerial feed into the RF modulator.

I'm not familiar with the term "multipoint". Do you mean "RF distribution amplifier with X outputs"? Please be specific.

What do you mean by "have no TV upstairs"? I assume that you do have a TV upstairs, otherwise you'll be watching a blank wall. Do you mean "the aerial signal is no longer tunable on the TV upstairs" or "the Virgin channel is not tunable on the TV upstairs"?

Please try to express what you DO see, rather than using vague negatives. Also please give an accurate description of the connections because, at present, it appears that you have no aerial feed into the RF modulator.
hi there, ok here goes.I currently have one of these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/virgin-V-...Switches_SM&hash=item4603513df2#ht_500wt_1187
which plugs into one of these
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5346161/Trail/searchtext>TV+ACCESSORIES.htm
and sends the virgin signal to other tv`s around the house.
I now want a tivo box but it has no rf connection so I`ve bought one of these,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
but when i plug my existing v box into the rf connector via scart it wont send a signal through the 4-way signal booster to my other tv`s
any ideas how to solve this, or am I stuck with my old v box?
cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
check what the V+ box is sending down the scart, IIRC mine will do RGB, composite S-vid and somthing else I cant remember right now.
try it on composite, alot of the cheap RF modulators can only do this, not rgb etc.
also, try retuning the TV, if the old box was just off channel (eg 52.6) it may be far enough out to not be visible.

try the RF modulator direct into the TV, you can usually tune to a blank screen, the modulator is still transmitting, just transmitting "blank"

I am using same RF box as yourself have done for years.
First job is to find a free channel I turned TV through each channel both analogue and digital and noted what channels were already in use. Even those with poor signal. This left me around 8 channels unused the buttons on unit need to be used to select an unused channel. Then tune TV into RF box not the other way around as not that accurate and can be slightly off channel. In my case all used channels were high frequency so I used channel 21 as far away from other used channels as I could get. Still get a little ghosting on some channels.

The tivo will output on scart if you have a hdmi cable connected. It's usually rgb but it will have a box in the middle saying hi Def not available please use hdmi. No way round it without unplugging the hdmi that I know of. Sorry! V plus is hdmi or scart if you have it set to hdmi. Old v box is the only one that does what you want. Can virgin not supply a second box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back