Ridge tile advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 4 bed 1930s semi, and had the front chimney removed last week because it was letting water in. When the job was finished, the roofer said that my ridge tiles had gaps in the cement, and could do with repairing. He said he wouldn't rebed them, just clean the old mortar out with a wire brush and then PVA and re-cement.

He has quoted £800 for this job (£300 for more scaffolding and £500 for labour/cement for the day). I have a couple of concerns:

1. That the tiles should be rebedded, and only re-cementing them may be a waste of time
2. That labour cost sounds a bit high for the day
3. I'm concerned that the job doesn't need to be done - I've seen a few photos of gaps, but generally the roof looks in good nick to my untrained eye

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. £800 is a lot of money!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Maybe re cementing weren’t his exact words, but he was speaking about renewing the mortar rather than lifting and rebedding.

My concern is whether just renewing the mortar is a quick fix as I don’t want to dish out £800 for a quick fix

Sponsored Links
if hes thinking of re pointing ... your wasting your cash - re bed and point in the same mortar is the proper job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back