ridges between plasterboard

Hib

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

can anyone tell me what causes the ridges to appear between sheets of plasterboard on the ceiling after they've been skimmed (usually about 2-3 mm x 2-3 mm along the line of the edge of the board).

I've seen them re-taped over and recovered with jointing compound (all on top of the original finish) only to reappear again shortly afterwards.

What causes it and how do i get rid of it?

Cheers for your help.

Hib

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the plaster cracks and you end up with a 3mm gap, with one edge lower than the other?

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
(yeah - i'm a spoilsport - i edited out that last post)

You know what Regs, you might well be right. there does seem to be a bit of movement and it probably is more a crack than a ridge (looking like a ridge to someone who doesn't look closely enough :oops: ).

I'll leave my ridge theory unedited just in case there's anyone who'll second it - but i kind of doubt it. Your explanation sounds right.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
If there is a large gap , and you skim over it without letting the first coat pick up a bit, then there wii be a ridge because that bit of finish will be set diffrently than the rest of the skim coat. This will also happen if there is a bit of movement.

To avoid this, fill all scrims first and let it pick up a bit before appyilng first coat of skim. Or , fill all scrims with gaps before hand with a bit of joint filler or easi fill so that your skim coat is uniform thickess.

These ridges can be got rid of in a few ways

- you can pull the back of the trowel along them to scrape them off , when the stuff picks up a bit, before the last trowel.

- you can give them a rub of a sponge float when it has picked up a bit, then trowel

- you can let it set , and when dry, scrape them with the back of the trowel and filla bit with easifill or aimes if needed.

- when dry enough to sandpaper, simply sand them off, again if you need to , use a bit of easifill,aimes or what you have to hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back