Why skim plasterboard?

tape and joint is just as good as skimmed and if sealed with drywall sealer you wont lose any paper when stripping wall paper off it

Sponsored Links
Tape & fill is good for commercial installations & office partitioning but not much else. It has no place in residential applications IMO & just says DIY or cheapskate national builders looking for every last penny & skimping on cost. Why keep raking over old ground on a very old thread; you will never, ever convince those of us who believe in & are good at plastering anything otherwise. Let it die, again!

In fact it would be a good idea for Mods to lock this thread, it's no longer relevant to the OP; there are clearly enough opinions about it & some posts have been derogatory which we are attempting to get away from, at least on Plastering!

Tape & fill is good for commercial installations & office partitioning but not much else. It has no place in residential applications IMO & just says DIY or cheapskate national builders looking for every last penny & skimping on cost. Why keep raking over old ground on a very old thread; you will never, ever convince those of us who believe in & are good at plastering anything otherwise. Let it die, again!

Very true!

Sponsored Links
Tape and fill is not that bad if done well and properly decorated. I've got a couple of houses rented out to youthful sharers, one newish build, predominately tape and fill and the other a mix of float/set and skimmed plasterboard. And to be honest, both are treated fairly roughly and they both perform about the same on the wear and tear front. I prefer skimmed walls myself, but I can live with both systems.

Tape and fill is not that bad if done well and properly decorated. I've got a couple of houses rented out to youthful sharers, one newish build, predominately tape and fill and the other a mix of float/set and skimmed plasterboard. And to be honest, both are treated fairly roughly and they both perform about the same on the wear and tear front. I prefer skimmed walls myself, but I can live with both systems.

Fair comment KP!! ;)

In fact it would be a good idea for Mods to lock this thread, it's no longer relevant to the OP; there are clearly enough opinions about it & some posts have been derogatory which we are attempting to get away from, at least on Plastering!
my post werent derogatory rich and i can plaster to a very high standard it was just an opinion ive seen both in 28 years at this game and ive seen more bad plastering than t&j

my post werent derogatory rich and i can plaster to a very high standard it was just an opinion ive seen both in 28 years at this game and ive seen more bad plastering than t&j

This topic always divides opinion. :LOL:

I dont think Richard was referring to your post mr wizard. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back