Why skim plasterboard?

Thanks Makitaman and Micilin. Some helpful insight.

As I said - an interesting debate and I was merely trying to understand why there seemed to be such divided schools of thought between countries.

Sponsored Links
Anyway know of the best way of dealing with feather edge plasterboard that has been papered (lining paper) to get it ready for painting? The paper doesn't look too good, visible joins etc. So the options are:
- remove the old paper, with the risk of damaging and the plasterbard backing, then plaster over
- plaster over the paper
- use some of that smoothover stuff to cover the paper

I'd prefer to keep costs down if poss.

I worked in the building industry in Oz for a few years, as well as living there since I was born. Compared to walls over here, walls there are lovely. Rooms are generally larger (so you should be able to see lines/ridges from a better range of sight lines), and white is the favoured colour, in my experience which accentuates flaws (whereas wallpaper hides them).

Generally, you're hard pressed to find a single flaw on a well jointed plasterboarded wall. I'd say that plasterers here plaster simply because that's what they've always done (not, for example, because plaster board is only a replacement to lathes - even the manufacturers of plasterboard point out that they can be painted or papered directly). Reluctance to change also, I would guess, because it takes less time (for a professional) to skim joints than a whole wall, and, of course, far less cost in labour/materials.

My experience of builders here hasn't been that they are as uniformly professional as those in Oz (but they're definitely friendlier), mainly (I think) because of better/more well enforced building regulations and requirements for builders to be allowed to operate at all.

Skills training and qualifications are taken very seriously there, whereas here, it seems if I bought a van I believe I could be making trade (however poor in quality) as a builder tomorrow. That would be illegal in Oz.

cheers,

Derek

ps, I have no great love for my home country, but this thread seemed to be a little unevenly weighted towards the notion of greatness of British builders. I thought that needed some balance:)

Welcome dereklane, the post you’ve replied to is now 15 months old :rolleyes: ; it’s always a good idea to check the last post date before replying. ;)

I have no great desire to resurrect the arguments for/against & whilst I agree with some of your points, I certainly disagree with others; particularly on the need/desirability of skimming plasterboard. ;)

Sponsored Links
I read the post for the first time yesterday. I wasn't really looking for a response, I guess - just feeling a little mischievous. Still, your response proves how stateless the web is (I could have been pondering this one for 15 months...).

Maybe it's the paint they use, but I'd challenge anyone (not that I'm advocating unnecessary airtravel) to look at a joint-plastered wall in Oz and find any flaws. One possible consideration that might make skimming worthwhile is that Oz houses are quite resonant. You can hear through the walls about as easily as if there were only a flyscreen between you and the other person. Of course, that can be fixed as easily (probably better) by sound proofing the walls.

cheers,

Derek

Some plasterers skim plasterboard with 3-4 mm of plaster. But why is this necessary? is it not defeating the purpose of using platerboard to avoid the messy plastering job? I thought the filler used in tapered joints was enough to give a nice and smooth finish

I know this is an old thread, but don't see how that makes any difference when people still search for info today!!
Probably not the best question to ask a forum of plasterers and roughcasters Frediaz.

There is no problem at all with taping and filling, or AMES TAPING, this has been standard building practice in Scotland for decades, (so have kit homes) as for spotting a taped joint a mile away, that says more about the professionalism of the taper than the decision not to plaster.
I have seen some flawless taping and some pretty poor plastering in my time, so that isn't really an argument.

As for Building regs, if anything they are more stringent in Scotland due to climate, roof construction, doors, windows all have to be of a much higher spec.

If you are going to paper over taped boards it is important to apply a coat of paint first to seal the walls, or you will never get the paper off later.

One possible consideration that might make skimming worthwhile is that Oz houses are quite resonant. You can hear through the walls about as easily as if there were only a flyscreen between you and the other person.
skimming a wall will not make a blind bit of difference to the sound qualities im afraid :(

also, I would guess, because it takes less time (for a professional) to skim joints than a whole wall, and, of course, far less cost in labour/materials.

I thought your post made some good points but probably the above one says it all .With tape and jointing being much cheaper, it is still not the preferred option - why? It must be because people prefer the finish that skimming gives.

Three main reasons for me
- butt joints in ceilings
-filling out around reveals, dormers etc
- poor stcking/boardwork - a lot of it can't be jointed

Although in the current economic climate* it is becoming more widely used, when the money is there, the boards are generally skimmed.

*for future readers , that's April 2011
:D :D

taping and jointing is by far the best way too finish walls lids fiited out with pboard im doing a lot more tape and jointing now days in shop refits and even on domestics the job im on not has some tape and jointing
if its done right and each satge is done right its a far better finish then plastering.

not as much mess half the time half the cost better background
looks more respectable walking in too a room tape and jointed then plasterd anyday
theres loads of plaasterers out there but not as much tape and jointers
same as m p board it ment for taping and jointing NOT PLASTERING
i for one try and go for taping and jointing over bard work now days as more and more people want it
iv got all the kit for it tapeteck elcky sanders the lot ready for the next taping job

plasterd finish will be more hardwearing than just board, if you chip plaster its just an easy filler job but if you chip board your down to the gypsum and in my experience filling it will crack round the edges (just what i have seen on sites)
plus why do you think brittish plasters are regared as some of the best in the world ;) sorry jut fnacied makeing some mischief.
also wen i say english plasterers i mean people who can float set screed render cove the lot basically, becasue i know the country is plagued at the moment with people who cnt do half the things they should be able to, so i would imagin at the moment as a group we wouldnt be regared as that good.
but get a proper spread and you see how much less work there will be for decorateing. no sanding, little mess, no flipping dust everywhere (except for mixing obviously) just simply skim and paint tll ya hearts content.
just my 2 pence worth

So taping is less messy, so when a plastered the lids in a house recently, lifted the dust sheets from the floor and walked out, job done. if the same job had been done t&j then after sanding down The client would have had to spend days dustinging and hoovering. Thats why I prefer skimming. also I find it quiker, and more and more of my french clients are now wanting skimming rather than T&J

So taping is less messy, so when a plastered the lids in a house recently, lifted the dust sheets from the floor and walked out, job done. if the same job had been done t&j then after sanding down The client would have had to spend days dustinging and hoovering. Thats why I prefer skimming. also I find it quiker, and more and more of my french clients are now wanting skimming rather than T&J

Quite right,, skimming/plastering is far better all round. Like everything else though, it has to be done properly and not just to make a quick buck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back