Why skim plasterboard?

Would any of you guys tackle a wall 7m x 2.3m.
Probably take about 5 buckets of skim.

I'm finding mixing the stuff a bit of a chore.
Also putting one coat on and then having to start all over again with a second coat is another chore.

Anyways I got my living room nearly finished. :D

Sponsored Links
7m x2.3m i make that just over 16m2 most spreads can do that without breaking into a sweat my average hit is 25m2-30m2, if its taking you 5 buckets it sounds like you are using small buckets if your getting fed up with knocking up so often try a bigger bucket, its good you have nearly finished your house though how are you finding it? being a first timer

Do you mix your own stuff on a 25m2 wall?
How many liters do you use?

I'm finding it a doddle so far. The finish I'm getting is a big improvement on the work the original guys did.
Probably need someone to mix for bigger walls though.

Do you mix your own stuff on a 25m2 wall?
How many liters do you use?

I'm finding it a doddle so far. The finish I'm getting is a big improvement on the work the original guys did.
Probably need someone to mix for bigger walls though.
yes i do i mix up between 2 and a half bags and 3 bags at a time in the largest size gorrilla tub i think it holds something like 75ltrs , sounds like you are doing ok if your finding it a doddle

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Thats where I'm going wrong then.
Need a bigger tub. :idea:

All went wrong this evening.
Set before I had got halfway down the wall. Only about 5 sq/m luckily.
Then hadn't enough finish for the second coat.

Just straight edged it and walked away.

I had a bonding coat on and I lashed it with water but it just seemed to suck the water.

I expect the pva seals and stops that happening.

Always best to skim the bonding the same day! otherwise you need to pva it to kill the suction...as you already found out.

bloody good question I have always wondered this afterall gypsum board was invented to replace lath & plaster which was a real headache, I worked on a 600bed hospital construction in the middle east and all internal walls were steel studs and plasterboard with no plaster, the plaster boards were recessed to accomodate the tape and filler and was very fast and was ready for painting and or vinyl, a few builders wanted to apply 3 - 5 mm plaster which the consultant blocked and explained why, with steel studs the levelling of the plaster boards was next to perfect, he explained to me that with skimming it encouraged poorer workmanship on the studs fitting and the fitting of the boards which in many cases were very slip shod especially with timber studwork, consequently plasterboard was poorly handled and often broken which required plastering, the consultant showed without skimming the walls were flatter and this could be shown by shining a light at an angle, many builders disagreed but i found the consultant to be right, I explained why are they so for skimming he said you cant teach old dogs new tricks and its also jobs for the boys, i found all this very interesting ive looked at the arguments when plasterers say a skimmed wall is better but ive looked at it hard when I built my house in the philippines i used plasterboard onto galvanised steel studs and 15 years later still looks as good as new, ive looked at new timber stud wall during erection and there far from level and with that they need to be skimmed which all adds to the time and the cost, but i suppose the saga will always continue

bloody good question I have always wondered this afterall gypsum board was invented to replace lath & plaster which was a real headache, I worked on a 600bed hospital construction in the middle east and all internal walls were steel studs and plasterboard with no plaster, the plaster boards were recessed to accomodate the tape and filler and was very fast and was ready for painting and or vinyl, a few builders wanted to apply 3 - 5 mm plaster which the consultant blocked and explained why, with steel studs the levelling of the plaster boards was next to perfect, he explained to me that with skimming it encouraged poorer workmanship on the studs fitting and the fitting of the boards which in many cases were very slip shod especially with timber studwork, consequently plasterboard was poorly handled and often broken which required plastering, the consultant showed without skimming the walls were flatter and this could be shown by shining a light at an angle, many builders disagreed but i found the consultant to be right, I explained why are they so for skimming he said you cant teach old dogs new tricks and its also jobs for the boys, i found all this very interesting ive looked at the arguments when plasterers say a skimmed wall is better but ive looked at it hard when I built my house in the philippines i used plasterboard onto galvanised steel studs and 15 years later still looks as good as new, ive looked at new timber stud wall during erection and there far from level and with that they need to be skimmed which all adds to the time and the cost, but i suppose the saga will always continue
hi james
A skimmed plasterboard wall is more resilient punch a hole through a normal piece of plasterboard with your fist and then try punching through a plastered plasterboard and see the difference

as i said the saga continues i saw many repairs caused by trolleys and the repair was straightforward and simple whether skimmed or not as regards strength plasterboard skimmed or not is not particularly strong

This was a really interesting read, helped explain the videos I was seeing from the USA and Oz where they just tape the joints and stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back