Riello 40 ignition delay with immediate lockout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm fixing a Riello 40 burner with two-pipe fuel supply (in a Camray Compact boiler); hit a wall at the moment, any tips welcome, thanks.

SYMPTOMS: switch on from cold and the motors runs forever with no sound of the ignitor arcing, until after around 2 mins, then it ignites crisply immediately on hearing the igniter relay; it then burns, sounding normal, for a few seconds and then locks out. This happens every time, very repeatable.

Just today though, it now makes no attempt to ignite; motor just runs for ever, no ignition, no sounds of an arc. (Does it have some kind of fuel detection prior to turning on the ignitor? After the work below, I'm beginning to suspect the pump.)

WORK SO FAR:
1) I've run it with the two fuel hoses submerged in a tub of oil right next to the boiler; no change, same symptoms.
2) The light sensor is completely clean.
3) The combustion chamber is clean; mixture appears good ... was professionally adjusted not long ago.
4) Run it with the control box lid off. After ignition the bimetallic strip heater, in the lock-out mechanism, appears to stay on because the strip starts to bend seconds after ignition and then triggers lock-out.

That's as far as I've got. Tips much appreciated.
Thanks, Dave.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry. Put it all back together today and it won't even try igniting, no relay sound, no arc sound. You probably didn't know about that bew symptom, I edited it in afterwards; would it still tie in with a duff photo cell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back