Riello RDB1 Burner-Lockout & Motor/Fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

I have set up a Riello burner, on a simple rig in my shed,which I got out of an old Camray oil boiler.Initially(after energising) all I got was the Motor/Fan purging and no ignition(nothing from the solenoid).I changed over the Photocell with another secondhand photocell and now the burner purges , ignites and runs(by putting my thumb over photocell initially and then removing after ignition).To check the safety/efficacy of this secondhand photocell I then put my thumb over the photocell to force it into lockout....which it did.However the Motor/fan kept going after Lockout? Is this just post Lock out purging or something more sinister.I didn't like to let it run too long just in case it damaged the pump. Hope this all makes sense.Constructive replies would be much appreciated.Thank you in advance .

Sponsored Links
photocell requires the burner to be in a combustion box of some type that is completely dark when flame extinguished. if there is a small amount of light then fan will continue to purge are firing. this is a safety feature in case the oil pump solenoid fails and oil continues to flow

On flame failure, the burner will go through the start up sequence again before going to lockout.

Gentleman

Firstly an apology for not replying sooner.Normally I get a notification ,if I have a reply, but I may have inadvertently unticked this option .Thank you for your replies
which were correct and made complete sense.I was trying to establish whether this was a specific photocell issue or control box.I should have started with a simpler
test by taking out the connections of the photocell from the control box and then run the burner to see whether it would purge ,ignite and then go into Lockout(which it did).
I have a couple of other queries which I will post seperately as I just wanted to Thank you initially.

Attachments

• New analogue Photocell shape.jpg
    New analogue Photocell shape.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 93
  • 2 core photocell reverse wiring.jpg
    2 core photocell reverse wiring.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
The first photo shows a new analogue photocell (on the right) .The "eye" is different from the old ones on the left.Would I expect to get similar Kohms/Mohm readings in light/dark as I would with the old
style analogue?
The second photo shows two old style photocells but the wiring is reversed on one set(i.e on the molex connector).Are these photocells "pole" specific or can they be connected into C/box either way.

Thank you again.

Riello photocells have changed. If you've bought a new one, then fit it. If it works , then OK. Stop overthinking such a simple problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back