Riello oil burner problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, we have a Riello RDB 2.2 burner. The problem is when switched on it just gives an electrical hum, doesn’t lock out but doesn’t fire. I’ve changed the nozzle, no joy. The oil pump gets hot to touch as does the motor. Please can someone help?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply. Im pretty sure just humming. I thought I’d cracked it with replacing the nozzle because it sounded as though it was working but then when I switched it off and on again it just made the humming noise

Check that the motor and oil pump are not jammed.Replace the motor capacitor if they are clear.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Sorry to be a pain, how do I do that? We really appreciate your help

For what they cost, Pt 3002837, replace the capacitor. You don't even have to remove the burner. If you wish to check for seized pump/motor, remove the fan housing and spin the fan. Three screws on the right hand side of the burner. Have a look at the installation Instructions for your boiler for pictures.

Thanks again, I’ve changed the control box and the capacitor, it’s started up periodically but has cut out again. The motor seems to turn ok as does the oil pump. The only thing is I disconnected the oil line to the oil pump and no oil comes out!! Tanks half full. I thought I’d cracked it when it fired up after the new control box
Please help it’s driving me nuts

You need to check, clean and bleed any filters. Is your tank really half full or are you relying on an electronic gauge?

I’ve cleaned the filter on the oil pump, are there any more? It better flipping had be half full they only came a week ago. But no I’ve not checked it. I’m so frustrated and I really appreciate you talking me through it

There should be a filter on the oil feed line, either at the tank or near the boiler.

I’ll check that tomorrow thanks
Can I ask, in these circumstances what do you guys do to fault find? Seems I’m clutching at straws

Start at the beginning and follow the fault finding sequence in the manufacturer's instructions.
This relies on you having experience/tools to decide whether you follow 'yes' or 'no'. It always worries me a little when I read that you have cleaned the oil pump filter yet don't know whether you have any other filters. Also on oil burners, you really need a pressure gauge and smoke pump. An analyser is also useful since manufacturers have removed sight glasses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back