Right breather membrane for garden outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here and I've been reading some great threads about garden sheds, outbuildings and offices. I'm building a 4m x 3m garden office out of recycled (although they look new) pallets that I've got for free from a local company.

The pallets I'm using for the walls are 212cm by 76cm, 16cm wide (with a 1cm thick wooden board on each side separated by 14cm blocks spaced out at 4 points across the pallet).

My plan is to attach a breathable membrane to the inside of the pallet board (outside obviously). This would leave a space between the membrane itself and the outside cladding (12mm exterior ply) of 1cm (the thickness of the external pallet board).

I was then thinking of using loft insulation to fill the remaining space inside the thickness of the pallet but leaving a 1cm gap on the other side of the membrane (i.e. on the inside of the pallet cavity). I'd then use 12mm interior ply for the inside boarding of the walls.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Finally, this is probably a stupid question, but can I use the roofing breathable membrane stuff for the external walls? It seems quite a bit cheaper but I'm guess that it is not suitable and that I should get some specific. What should that be and where's the best place to get it from?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back