Right forearm is killing me........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And, no...the wife was in all day yesterday, so it's not THAT...

Got to hand it to you boys (and any girls) who do this for a living....did a ceiling and three walls yesterday over 7 hours, and today woke up and my right forearm is in pieces !

I know you probably get used to it after a while, but by god it's hard workl!!!

Sponsored Links
Well i've been on the tools near on 35yrs now and only recently (10 months) got tennis elbow in my right arm and because i shifted the workload to my left arm i now have it in both! unbelievably debilitating as its even an effort to lift a cup...been to doc, got pills which take the pain away to a degree but still have zero strength.
Apparently this can take up to a couple of years to get better. :rolleyes:

Mine's just due to me being a pen pushing desk jockey...sorry to hear about your's!! So does that mean you're out of work 'till it's better??

I cant do ceilings as i have no strength in my arms....walls i can just manage .

I have people working for me so could be worse.

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough my plastering young friend has a major problem in his knee from grovelling to plaster. It blew up and caused him such agony that he’s had to have time off work. (And he's self employed).

Re: the tendinitis. I had this big time many years ago when I was bodybuilding. As with all fanatical men bodybuilders, they like a good pair of arms. Think about it, when someone says “show me your muscles” you don’t pull up your trouser leg and flex your calf. So I ended up doing no less than 12 sets on arms, finishing with one arm press ups and using one of those spring-loaded hand grip things for your forearm. I was close to vomiting many times with the effort I used to put into it.

I got what’s known as golfers elbow or tendinitis of the medial epicondyle. Sounds like nothing but, as Virgil said, it’s affects you in a way you would never have expected! So lifting a cup of tea was painful and I couldn’t even lift my daughter up in my arms, who was only about four at the time.

As with any malady you get, you look into it. I had physiotherapy and all manner of treatments, to no avail. It seems to me if you wreck a muscle you can recover from it. But if it’s a tendon, because of the poor blood supply and nature of the fibres, you are stuck with it for life. I considered a cortisone injection until I read that they don’t actually know how it works and in fact it only masks the pain. Also, if you have more than three it can wreck the joint!

What I’ve never understood is how you hear of a footballer rip the Achilles tendon off the bone and they can somehow suture it back on and tell you “he’ll be out of action for a few weeks”.

WHAT??? A few weeks! :eek: I’m 54 now and had my injury back when I was about 30 and I still have to live with it if I do too much... :(

Yeah Tone, the cortisone injection was to be the next step but the doc said i would be unable to do any work for at least a couple of days and i read it is a short term fix.
Anyhoo backs knackered as well (Trapped sciatic nerve i think ) i'm ready for the bucket lol :cry:

Indeedy Alastair; the joys of getting old eh. (Except I wasn’t old at the time, but I did go mad at it
dunce2.gif
).

Even now I have to stick a bag of peas from the freezer on my elbow because of the badminton I play once a week. It’s wasn’t bad until I went to France and back recently on my motorbike; over 2,000 miles in about four and a half days. I think hanging on the bars like a monkey for so long did something.
action-smiley-083.gif

Actually, I would recommend the ole peas on the affected area as the only thing which does help. It brings blood into the area, (so the physio at the Q.E. told me), as you will see form the redness afterwards. That and an anti-inflammatory like aspirin or Brufen-type stuff etc.
She said if you stop exercise before it gets very bad you should be able to make a full recovery with this regime if you rest it for six weeks.
costumed-smiley-050.gif

Methinks that's all well and good but these people don’t seem to realise you have to work. So it may be idealistic but not at all realistic for most of us...
smilie_tischkante.gif

I feel quite bad now...I've only got an over excersised arm!!

On the football thing though, my Brotehr in law was a pro footballer and the level of attention they get when they 'get fixed' is unheard of.

When I broke my elbow and later when I had an ACL replacement I got a list of physio to do...once a day...with a pop back in a week and we'll take a look...all this whilst workign s normal job, cooking the dinner, watching the tv etc

A pro sportsman will have a dedicated physio for those 6 weeks and they'er effectively being paid to get better...that's why they get fixed well and quickly...

Lol Tone, my school reports used to say if i devoted as much time to my studies as i did badminton my grades would greatly improve :mrgreen:
Football i was never much good at!!! the badminton court was where i spent all my spare time. I played at county level till i left school then joined local badminton clubs. i havent played for a few years now but reckon i could still hack it :cool:

Anyway...Heres my latest bike.

We do rideouts yearly to North yorkshire, the lakes and the north of Scotland.
I need to get a chopper next as i can hardly get off the bike after a few hours in the saddle.

YZF 1000

View media item 63190
And 1200 bandit View media item 63191

Well i've been on the tools near on 35yrs now and only recently (10 months) got tennis elbow in my right arm and because i shifted the workload to my left arm i now have it in both! unbelievably debilitating as its even an effort to lift a cup...been to doc, got pills which take the pain away to a degree but still have zero strength.
Apparently this can take up to a couple of years to get better. :rolleyes:
welcome to the club al I have had it in both arms as well it took about a year to get better, "BUT" think twice about having the injection, I decided not to because I read that if you do have the injection it is more likely to come back not sure why, but I decided to stick with the exorcises and do it naturally , ive only got my false knee to worry about at the mo, also if you use the plastic trowel I sent you that will take a lot of pressure off your arm

The tennis elbow thing does get better. Mine's on the mend (I hope). It's amazing how the strength just leaves your arm, you can barely lift your empty hand without getting that gnawing feeling in your bones.

The tennis elbow thing does get better. Mine's on the mend (I hope). It's amazing how the strength just leaves your arm, you can barely lift your empty hand without getting that gnawing feeling in your bones.
did u plump for the injection joe?

I get the feeling, Joe, that if I said I'm a bipolar transsexual retired astronaut wearing prosthetic legs and fostering a child which has a head that looks like a melon you'd somehow say you can relate to it and make a post...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back