Right tool for sanding down wooden floors

On a paid job I simply wouldn't do this, though - I'd side step the issue by sweeping out the floor, rolling out a layer of Visqueen and then nailing or screwing a layer of 12mm hardwood ply over the top.
What is the visqueen going to do?

Sponsored Links
So I get the impression that from the size of the floor that it is most economical to hire a macing from as about listed the likes of HSS. But what about the lye and soup? Where can I buy this from?

What is the visqueen going to do?
Stops any grease or oil leaching through, improves draught sealing and acts as a DPM (assuming the underside is not thoroughly sealed)

So I get the impression that from the size of the floor that it is most economical to hire a macing from as about listed the likes of HSS. But what about the lye and soup? Where can I buy this from?
Lye is fundamentally caustic soda - I get mone from our local ironmonger. Soup? If you mean Heinz's best then I'd suggest Tesco - if on the other hand you mean what I suggested i.e. "Sugar Soap", then I'd go to a decorators' centre or a Screwfix or an ironmonger - but they probably won't sell Heinz's soups, or beans for that matter

Go to this place and you could find yourself totally screwed:

20230529_084506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
knee pads - which helps avoid bursitis

Years ago, I woke up and thought "my knee is a bit stiff". On day three I couldn't bend my leg because of the pain ( I am a bit of a wimp but not a total wimp).

I scrounged a lift, off she who scowls at me, to the local minor injuries unit. A stern Irish nurse asked me to lay on the bed. Because I couldn't bend my leg, it took a while- she game me short shrift. She looked at the knee, noted the inflammation and heat and said "it is only house maid's knee".

Gave me some NSAIDs, and it was fine the next day.

Sponsored Links

If you want a macing, you may need to hire a dominatrix, or alternatively, annoy a bouncer or the Old Bill.

She looked at the knee, noted the inflammation and heat and said "it is only house maid's knee".

Gave me some NSAIDs, and it was fine the next day.
When you have bursitis it can be just inflamation, but that can be accompanied by really sharp, stabbing pain when you kneel down. I started with bursitis, developed osteo-arthritis in my knees and last year I had a replacement full knee joint (which is a lot longer than a few weeks to recover). It is becoming more common for certain trades to need this operation.

Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have bursitis it can be just inflamation, but that can be accompanied by really sharp, stani g pain when you kneel down. I started with bursitis, developed osteo arthritis in my knees and last year I had a replacement full knee joint (which is a lot longer than a few weeks to recover). It is becoming more common for certain trades to need this operation.

Just saying

Yeah, mine was just inflammation (fortunately).

I get what you are saying about TKRs (total knee replacements). My mum has had three TKRs... Far more traumatic for the body than a replacement hip.

Hope it is working out well for you.

Hope it is working out well for you.
Yes, thank you. I went back in light duties about 3 months after the op (TBH too early), but full time late last year, about 8 months after the op. 15 months on and I am still recovering, which I'm told is not uncommon, but at least I can put in a full week's work.

TBH the operation frightened the cr@pouttame but has been a life changer.

Yes, thank you. I went back in light duties about 3 months after the op (TBH too early), but full time late last year, about 8 months after the op. 15 months on and I am still recovering, which I'm told is not uncommon, but at least I can put in a full week's work.

TBH the operation frightened the cr@pouttame but has been a life changer.

It is major surgery. They have to take your leg apart and maintain the blood supply down to your foot and back. Clearly they have to do that with a hip as well but a hip doesn't have the same scope of movement as a knee joint so dealing with muscle tissue is less of an issue.

Unfortunately, when my mum had the second TKR on the same leg at the age of about 74, the registrar effed up. She was in hospital for almost two months because it went manky. She had a vacuum pack on her knee for weeks to suck the puss out. A family friend that is a consultant told me which words to bring up in conversation when I waited for the medical team to do their rounds at 7AM (my mum used to be a nurse in that hospital, so I got away with turning up so early). I told the registrar and team that they clearly didn't know how to deal with the infection and that I was concerned that they, the team, were mismanaging things. To my surprise, they agreed and said that they would send her to the Royal Free for plasics.

To add insult to injury, her foot is now at a constant angle to her leg, ie. it is twisted. My sister paid for a private consultation with a consultant surgeon that had been highly recommended by a number of friends that are doctors and consultants. They guy said "sorry, but the last lot trimmed away too much of the muscle, I can't do anything to improve it".

Sorry to hijack your post, but it still annoys me that my mum was, formerly, a nurse at Ealing Hospital and that she was naive enough to trust them to perform a fairly standard operation to a reasonable standard.

I, like you, am so glad that we have the NHS, I do however have concerns about the way that older/vulnerable patients may be treated by arrogant registrars or consultant surgeons. I was working locally and so could be there at 7AM for the rounds in the morning. As I said, were it not for the fact that the other nurses knew my mum, I would never have been allowed in to talk to the team during their rounds.

Again, sorry, it just happens to be something that irks me. I only have one mum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back