Rik Mayall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has died aged 56. RIP

I spent a lot of hours laughing at the Young ones. Bottom and of course Kevin Turvey.

Oh, and Adrian Bas tard and his talking penis :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What a terrible unexpected (well by most of us I guess) loss. No age to go.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, talented comic.

Loved him in The Young Ones and Black Adder.

RIP Rik.

Very sad news, he used to drink in the pub next door to me in the 90's.

Slightly off topic, but anyone else find it a bit unnerving how quickly wikipedia and imdb is updated to show he's dead? The guy is hardly cold yet if you type his name in google today 9th of june, all the hits show (7 March 1958 – 9 June 2014)

Almost feels like the online version of vultures have to go on and update the wiki the second the news breaks. Very clinical.

Yes, quite a shock and very sad. Will be missed.

Really enjoyed The Young Ones in my teens, and the The New Statesman was real quality.

RIP

Slightly off topic, but anyone else find it a bit unnerving how quickly wikipedia and imdb is updated to show he's dead? The guy is hardly cold yet if you type his name in google today 9th of june, all the hits show (7 March 1958 – 9 June 2014)

Almost feels like the online version of vultures have to go on and update the wiki the second the news breaks. Very clinical.

I think it's just that they all compete with each other to keep their info up to date. It's the age we live in, where we don't wait for a day or two to read it in the papers. Everything's been speeded up, and this is just a symptom of it.

Was so shocked to read about this Monday eve on my way home.

I too grew up happy enjoying many many hours in tears of laughter watching him fail miserably with various 'chicks' etc.
Kevin Turvey, The dangerous brothers, Young Ones, New Statesmen, Filthy Rich n Catflap, Comic Strip (Fistfull of travellers cheques, Mr Jolly...epic) , Bottom (GAS etc.)

From time to time i download a script from Youngones/Bottom, and they still make me laugh, so good.

So many quality lines and quotes, i could mumble just a few words to one of my mates and without hesitation they recite the rest.

RIP Peoples poet.

Slightly off topic, but anyone else find it a bit unnerving how quickly....... Very clinical.

Similar thought to obits and how quickly they gather them together. Heard on radio though that they write one for everyone famous and have them tweaked with anything notable.
If you get famous enough, someone will one day srart writing your obituary while you make toast....

Sad news though. I'm 37 and he's definitely one of the first people to die that I felt was contemporary to my life, if that makes sense ...

Sponsored Links
Back