Ring Circuit - ready reckoner

There does not seem to be any RCD protection on that ancient Fusebox.
As you should know by now, any new sockets must be protected by a 30mA RCD. So you can’t add a socket, Unless there is an RCD that we cannot see.
1693902440513.png

EDIT Oops didn't see the subsequent posts

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
View attachment 313147

EDIT Oops didn't see the subsequent posts
Is my small RCD unit getting power from this breaker on the "ancient" CU?
If yes, is that common? I thought that secondary CU usually get powered by splitting at the meter tails: one set for the old and another set for the new consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
It's at my property but not my installation. I thought I'd ask since, as you know very well and remind me on every occasion, I am not an expert!

Are you always so patronizing @Taylortwocities or is is just in response to my posts?!
By your installation I mean an installation that you are responsible for not necessarily one that you installed.

Jupe, sorry to be hard on you but after all the years you’ve been on here - and 3500+ posts - I’d have thought that you’d be able to have the grasp of how to do most of this.

I’ll try not to get involved.

Jupe, sorry to be hard on you but after all the years you’ve been on here - and 3500+ posts - I’d have thought that you’d be able to have the grasp of how to do most of this.

Not a prob.
I appreciate that it may be frustrating from your point of view but this isn't something I do every day or for a living. I am a DIY'er! This inevitably means that I forget and am unsure on things.
I do feel that there is so much I have safely done with electrics off the back of support I have had from this forum.

So - how do you think that might relate to the circuit to which you want to fit the sockets?
It was a tangential question. I wanted to understand how the secondary CU is connected to the main CU.
However, this does mean that I can spur off the Ring that is RCD protected. It will be a faff to get the cables to where I want them...
It also means - as someone suggested - that a new circuit could be added to the RCD unit. I appreciate that this would be notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back