Ring Main Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When extending a domestic ring main why is wrong to add a ring to a ring? In other words leave the existing ring intact and just add the extra sockets to a ring taken directly from two adjacent sockets. After all the current flows both ways

Sponsored Links
its harder to do that, and you are making a ring into a spur

why not add the new sockets into the ring, easier and safer

What you'd end up with then would be a bridged ring, which you're not supposed to have.

But if you can get at 2 adjacent existing sockets to connect your new cables, you can disconnect the existing cable joining them, and thus extend the ring....

there are two main reasons

the first is it can increase the chances of hot spots in the ring

the second is it makes a cuircuit arrangement which is going to be a right pain to test (i think this is the main reason)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick responses. I shall ensure that I construct the new ring extension without the bridge. I just wondered why it shouldn't be done the other way.

ban-all-sheds said:
What you'd end up with then would be a bridged ring, which you're not supposed to have.

But if you can get at 2 adjacent existing sockets to connect your new cables, you can disconnect the existing cable joining them, and thus extend the ring....

my 2 adjacent existing sockets are not part of ring , still connect to them ?

Possibly - all the usual rules apply to each one, individually. But don't join them together, directly or via new sockets.

ban-all-sheds said:
Possibly - all the usual rules apply to each one, individually. But don't join them together, directly or via new sockets.

ok ban leaving every thing as is for now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back