Ring Main Extension

Sponsored Links
Well if he replaces one existing socket with two singles in a dual box, puts one existing cable into one of them, the other into the other, then he can run a loop of new cable to the new sockets and know he's extended the ring.
Yes a good idea again less chance of an error.

Guys, would just like to thank you all for the tips so far. I've narrowed this down to 3 options;

1. See if I can get the floor sheet(s) up and have a look to see if I can see the cable between the 2 sockets and extend the ring that way.

2. Spur an FCU off the existing double socket and live with the 13A restriction (should be OK with a PC, monitor & some speakers running off that). I take it this would be a single cable from FCU to new double socket and then to new single socket.

3. Do what Ban All Sheds says with the twin single sockets.

I like the sound of number 3 the best I think

Now, to get under the floor. Someone has suggested getting a circular saw and setting the blade to a couple of mm above the full depth of the floor sheets and cutting a section across the room out to run the cable in, then replacing this after I've run the cables. Good advice???

Sponsored Links
Run 2 wires from any existing socket to your new sockets in a ring formation. (I.e. 1 wire to each new socket and an interconnecting wire between them).

Now you have 4 wires in the old socket ( 2 old, 2 new)
For ease of explanation, we'll call the old cables A and B, and the new wires 1 and 2.
Remove wire B and use a connector to join it to cable 2. Connect wire 1 into the socket where wire B originally was.

Thats it,

Or add a socket at the location of the existing one and not have to try and get bits of chock-block into the backbox.

Yup.

Can be a lot less aggro than lifting those dreadful chipboard sheets if you're running cables parallel to the joists. Not so much use if you are having to go through the joists.

OK thanks I've got that right in my head now.

I must admit when working as a joiner in Uni holidays, laying sheet-timber floors was a dream compared T&G floorboards. Not so sure now!!!!

I'll be "making a start" on this soon - which usually means pulling up the carpet, assessing the situation and then finding something else to do!! At least by then I'll know which way the joists run etc...

Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back