Ring main measures 600R

I cannot see any way that the results could be recorded incorrectly due to the number of tests involved.
That's simple.

You don't do the tests, you make up the results and you write them on the schedule of results.

Sadly, I tend to agree; this is what an enormous number of electricians actually do.

If they do carry out the end to end tests at all, they usually then proceed to calculate a figure for (R1 + R2), rather than measure it, as they should.

Sponsored Links
I cannot see any way that the results could be recorded incorrectly due to the number of tests involved.
That's simple.

You don't do the tests, you make up the results and you write them on the schedule of results.

Sadly, I tend to agree; this is what an enormous number of electricians actually do.

If they do carry out the end to end tests at all, they usually then proceed to calculate a figure for (R1 + R2), rather than measure it, as they should.

It is measuring the same resistance in different way. Only any real use if you are going to check every socket on the ring for erroneous readings. And then investigate the cause of any erroneous readings.

This is why I do the tests up front of doing any work that will involve issuing an EIC. Because if remedial work is required you can explain the problem to the customer and get paid for doing it. Also you don't end up stuck at someones house a 8pm trying to sort out a problem at the end of a job. Which looks unorganised and unprofessional - it is no wonder "electricians" who don't do the tests up front falsify the results and scarper.

Which is I am afraid what this smacks of.

Martin

It is measuring the same resistance in different way.

Not sure what you are getting at here.

The current method for verifying ring final circuits involves measuring values artificially created by reconfiguring the circuit. Most electricians don't understand why this is done, so don't actually carry out stages 2 and 3 of the ring test.

There is no point in carrying out stage 1 and then not completing the rest of the tests, especially on a ring you haven't installed.

I totally agree with you, the reconfiguration by crossing the phase conductors into effectively a fig 8 loop means that for a true ring the resistance should be nearly the same at every socket and increase for any spurs. If it doesn't then you need to start having a closer look by either taking the tops off or; well I use a plug with a short between live and cpc (this is dead testing on an isolated circuit - if you don't know what that means then don't try this at home) and use that to work out what is connected to what.

I found a ground floor of a property had both legs of what appeared to be a ring leaving the cu were actually going to a jb under the floor and all of the socket (8 of them) were spurred off in a spider web style from the JB

What I meant is that if you do not intend to go round each socket there really is not point in not just calculating it.

Hope the clears things up.

:)
Martin

Sponsored Links
Most electricians don't understand why this is done, so don't actually carry out stages 2 and 3 of the ring test.
It is trivially simple maths - anybody who does not understand it has no basis whatsoever to be working as an electrician.

What I meant is that if you do not intend to go round each socket there really is not point in not just calculating it.
What you mean is that if you do not intend to do the job properly then there really is no point in believing yourself to be a competent professional.

Most electricians don't understand why this is done, so don't actually carry out stages 2 and 3 of the ring test.
It is trivially simple maths - anybody who does not understand it has no basis whatsoever to be working as an electrician.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Try telling that to all the electricians who think that Ohm's Law becomes rocket science once you replace V, I & R with their specific designations for a.c. circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back