Ring main troubleshooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unable to use CU to check for tracing garage ring main trip problem, is there an alternative method please?
I am semi experienced amateur.
CU connection screws immovable.

Sponsored Links
Loads, but not really enough info given.

The neutral and earth are connected together when the main isolator is on, but turn off the main isolator and you can still do an insulation test neutral to earth.

One can clip on a clamp on ammeter and measure what is being used, and leakage to earth, however clearly not once it has tripped.

Many of my amateur friends know far more than myself, we may have all taken the RAE exam, (Radio Amateur Exam) and are classed as amateurs but really are quite skilled. All amateur means is your not paid to do it.

So explain you problem, and also say what you have to test with, no good telling you to use an insulation tester if you don't have one.

For a one off job, to buy or hire test equipment is often not worth while, so @jurassic sparkk may be right.

Sponsored Links
When trying to trace a problem with my daughters house, I had to split the ring final. And then test smaller and smaller sections until I have found the section at fault. But pictures can replace a 1000 words, give us a clue what you have.

Thank you ericmark for your helpful reply, I will endeavour to do as you ask :-
my outside garage has no power & the CU trips each time attempts are made to switch on.
The CU ring main cores securing screws have been tightened too much for me to release them
without damaging them beyond further use, therefore I would appreciate details of an alternative
method of carrying out fault investigation, if there is one ?

My electrical knowledge is limited to DIY standard.
I can follow detailed advice & diagrams but have no experience of practical procedures.

My tools are :- Astro multimeter 600v, voltage detector pen, extended core for testing,
screwdrivers, pliers etc.
I hope this will help.

Thing is, CUs do not trip. Some device inside them does. People need to know what is written on that device.

Have any changes been made to the circuit?

Have you unplugged absolutely everything on the circuit?

What trips off, MCB, RCD, RCBO.

How is it wired to garage FCU, mini CU come one give us a chance.
It is wired back to another CU in my workshop integral with the house which it trips as well as the mini CU in the garage.

Thing is, CUs do not trip. Some device inside them does. People need to know what is written on that device.
Yes apologies the MCB for garage supply trips.
The mini CU MCB for sockets ,simultaneously trips.

When trying to trace a problem with my daughters house, I had to split the ring final. And then test smaller and smaller sections until I have found the section at fault. But pictures can replace a 1000 words, give us a clue what you have.
Yes, I can understand that in principal but I am unsure how it is precisely achieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back