Ring main troubleshooting

Sponsored Links
In my experience most modern-ish readily available stranded cables start at 7 in number. I must admit I like the new-fangled idea of 25mm tails being available in more stranded versions. it makes them far easier to manipulate, I wish they had been around years ago.

As a side issue, years ago, when 16.0 were more common in domestics and 25.0 became the min recommended and the Wylex 604 etc were pretty common consumer units, some of the old electric boards allowed a little leeway on fitting tails in consumer units - they allowed up to a max of three of the seven strands of those 25.0 tails being snipped off one or even both termination ends on each tail.
Result, in theory, there was a chance that a tail could have only one of those 7 conductors continuous end to end and it was only the friction pressure of the insulation and sheafing that was enabling reasonable/half reasonable conduction (coincidentally aided and abetted by bend loops) between adjacent conductor strands.
Actually I never heard of any disasters happening as a result but it was a worrying trend to occupy your mind with.

Was it a result of wishful thinking or value engineering design?
I think the max on domestic showers was around 8.4KW at that time, in practice.

Yes, 6381Y is soooooo much easier to work with. Needing ferrules is a minor inconvenience in comparison. The biggest problem is getting hold of it - conversations at the wholesalers tend to be along the lines of :
What do you want that for, everyone uses 6181Y
We don't stock it, no-one asks for it
We can get it, minimum qty applies

Then the good ones - only stock grey & blue (DC colours used by BT)

And my favourite : we don't sell any so we don't stock it. Bit of a self fulfilling statement there.

I had to get mine direct from manufacturer, which isn't economical if you only want to buy enough for each job as you do it.

Sponsored Links
I have found it to be readily available, anyway TLC Direct is quite popular, larger orders are normally next day and they good on returns too so I have used them a few times as well as ordinary wholesalers.

I have almost retired now so I only get a bit of stuff last couple of years so my opinion might not be representative though, and it might vary by area too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back