Ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok had an extension done

put 10 new sockets in a ring. but only one feed coming from consumer box. is this ok or do i need to get a return to the consumer box?

just to clarify, i have one main coming from consumer unit and going to the back of a socket and then a feed from the socket to the other sockets until the last, 10th socket with a single feed from the previous socket. is this ok? Do i need a feed from the 10th socket back to the consumer board?

It all works ok.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
If you have a 16a mcb fitted fine. If 32a you need to add the "return leg" to make a ring. And RCD protection and testing…and….. :eek: signed off by an electrician.

DS

From his description it's a radial, and isn't necessarily either forbidden or dangerous - depends on the size of the cable and the rating of the protective device.

Krazaq - was the electrical work done by someone who self-certified Building Regulations compliance, or was it notified in advance to Building Control?

What does the schedule on your Electrical Installation Certificate say about cable size, MCB rating, circuit type etc?

Sponsored Links
6a ? 10 a ? …….. your point is ?

As the installation method is not given i would not suggest 20a or 25a.

Kind regards,

DS ……….. COULD BE BELL WIRE :p

the cable is the normal socket cable running from consumer unit with fuse b32.

Yes its just a long spur.....

Can i just simply put a another single mcb consumer unit using the main feed from the consumer box and then wire the circuit to it, i.e sockets 1 to 10.

6a ? 10 a ? …….. your point is ? ... As the installation method is not given i would not suggest 20a or 25a.
... nor was the CSA given, so even to suggest that a 16A MCB would be 'fine' involves an assumption. I presume that EFLI's point was that you seemed to imply that there were no possible (not certain, without additional information) alternatives to a 16A MCB other than to convert it into a 32A ring (again with assumptions about the CSA and installation method!).

Kind Regards, John

Can i just simply put a another single mcb consumer unit using the main feed from the consumer box and then wire the circuit to it, i.e sockets 1 to 10.
I don't fully understand, but the answer is almost certainly 'no'. You really need an electrician, and what (s)he would probably do is run a cable from the last socket back to the same B32 MCB in your CU to which the first socket is connected.

Kind Regards, John
typo corrected

If you have a 16a mcb fitted fine. If 32a you need to add the "return leg" to make a ring. And RCD protection and testing…and….. :eek: signed off by an electrician.

DS

I think i said that.

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back