Ring main circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I wire a ring main from the consumer unit, does the ring eventually come back to the same connection in the fuse box or a unused one?

Also if I wire a socket from the consumer unit with no return, can I run another socket from this first socket as a spur.

Thanks,

Stefan.

Sponsored Links
Hi Stefan - yes in order to make a ring main a proper ring you must return the cables back to the same MCB or fuse.

If running out from the unit and not returning this is called a radial line and you can add sockets on after the first, but there is a limit to the lenght you can go with this. Also, make sure you have the right size fuse or MCB if only a radial.

REMEMBER - if connetcing new circuits then you ought to be Part P registered these days, so are you sure you want to do this!

Rusty2

A little misleading.... No limit to length, you must however consider the volt drop. You can only serve certain sizes of floor area per circuit type.

Ring Circuit (NOT RING MAIN!!)
- 100m/sq area
- 32amp MCB
- 2.5mm/sq cable min.

32amp Radial Circuit (NOT LINE!!)
- 75m/sq area(used to be 50)
- 32amp MCB
- 4mm/sq cable min.

20amp Radial Circuit
- 50m/sq area(used to be 20)
- 20amp MCB(used to be 16amp)
- 2.5mm/sq cable min.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back