Electrical spur extension

Sponsored Links
Interesting,

Sorry to hijack the post but i have a simular situation.

Need 2 breakers within my MK sentry consumer to power new extension.

There are 6 in there at the moment. used as follows

1, upstairs plugs
2, downstairs plugs
3, upstairs lights
4, downstairs lights
5, cooker, (dont have electric cooker) but there is a story below.
6, spare, but i notice cable in there for shower and cabling goes up stairs to bathroom in case i assume anyone wanted to fit a shower but not conected.

Ok so the old cooker point in the kitchen was removed and a twin gang socket fitted in its place. Because i need 2 new outlets from the consumer i was going to use spare one (dowrated to 5 amp) for lighting. And the one where the old cooker cable is now for the sockets. I was going to move the cooker cable into the downstairs plug socket breaker. Please note this is now a plug socket and the old cooker box was completely removed and a knock out box fitted.

Is this acceptable or not ? if it isnt, i will simply loose the cooker converted socket altogether and manage without it... Sods law though that i will probably mis it if it isnt usable anymore :cry:

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

Its acceptable, a spur from a ring final circuit may be taken form the orgin, and nothing wrong with using oversized cable as long as it con be terminated properly (be very careful to make sure the screw grips down on all conductors... give them a bit of a pull after tightening to make sure)

Remember that if you want to convert it back to cooker point it will need to go back on its own breaker, also it might be rise to put a note in with the certs, or near the cu, so its clear what has been done

Sponsored Links
Cheers Adam,

Yes i planned to do that... the box at the moment hasnt any labeling... had to suss it all out for myself... i noticed an extra 2.5mm red wire on the downstairs ring.. I traced it half way around the house and it eventually came down the stairs wall and disapeared into the cavity...

I issolated the phase and gave it a tug....discovered it was for a previously fitted Spur into an old out house... Taped on the ends and left floating in the cavity :eek:

Sorted that and removed wiring...

Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back