Electrical spur extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to run a spur straight from the consumer unit by connecting the wiring to an already used fuse in the comsumer unit.

I know I can run a spur from any socket but can I run a spur from an already used connection in the consumer unit?

Thanks,

Stefan.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can as long as you connect it to a suitable fuse/breaker, not a dedicated circuit for shower/cooker etc. This will be notifiable to lbc as adding new circuit.

No!
Where an installation comprises more than one final circuit,each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in a distribution board.
The wiring of each final circuit shall be electrically seperate from that
of every other final circuit, so as to prevent the indirect energising
of a final circuit intended to be isolated.
Therefore each socket is considered as a final circuit and doesn't
comply to BS7671.

Steve

tekkiesteve said:
Therefore each socket is considered as a final circuit and doesn't
comply to BS7671.

rofl5.gif

Sponsored Links
tekkiesteve said:
reg 314-01-04

Its two individual circuits!

Steve

If it is a spur off a ring final, then yes, you can come off the same terminals in the CU as the ring does.

The OSG mentions three points on a circuit where a spur can be wired to: a socket outlet, a junction box or the origin of the circuit in the CU.

OSG, p153.....

Interpretation!!! Personally I understand the reg to mean that any circuit must only have one point of disconnection (Fuse/mcb etc), and NOT.... as I've often come across a ring with a 15 a fuse at each end, ie TWO points of disconnection

Nomenclature:

A "spur" is an outlet fed off a ring final with just one cable supplying it.

If it is a socket outlet not intended to be wired from a ring final, then it is a radial circuit.

Securespark
I stand corrected if its a ring final :oops:
I know its frequently seen but not best practice.

Steve

Stefan plant
I your still following this thread and you still wish to run the new circuit from the cu from a ring final (ie 32A mcb protection) i would run it in 4mm.

Steve

The spur will be fine in 2.5mm2. The most current that could be drawn through this cable is 26A under worst case conditions of a fully loaded twin socket, and this is not an unacceptable setup. If you were to spur off any other point of the ring would you therefore use a 4mm2 cable for this aswell? There is no technical difference between spuring from a socket, joint box or circuit breaker in the CCU.

Rob

Because 2.5mm can take 27A, i know a dso is max 26A and then an allowance for diversity can be made but;
Best practise if your "spurring at the mcb" is to assume that someone will convert it to a radial circuit in the future, so larger cable is better.

Steve

tekkiesteve said:
Securespark
I stand corrected if its a ring final :oops:
I know its frequently seen but not best practice.

Steve

Why do the OSG condone it, then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back