Ring Mains and Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket in a bedroom which has three 2.5mm cables. In the hallway immediately behind this socket I have what I assume is a spur off the bedroom socket. However, the hall socket has two 2.5mm cables. I understood that a spur would only have one 2.5mm cable.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

Sponsored Links
Presumably the apparent spur from the bedroom socket does not go to the socket immediately behind it, but somewhere else else.

I have a double socket in a bedroom which has three 2.5mm cables. In the hallway immediately behind this socket I have what I assume is a spur off the bedroom socket. However, the hall socket has two 2.5mm cables. I understood that a spur would only have one 2.5mm cable. ... Can anyone offer an explanation?
As you have probably worked out for yourself, IF that socket in the hall IS a spur from the one in the bedroom, then it's probable that a second 'spur' has been taken off the spurred socket - which, as you also probably know, is contrary to regulations.

The main alternative explanation (perhaps more likely) would be that your assumption about the hall socket being a spur from the bedroom one is not correct. Is there anything else around (socket or otherwise) which may have been spurred off the bedroom socket?

Kind Regards, John

I can't see the full cable run but I am pretty sure that the hall socket is spurred off the bedroom socket.

Any other possible explanations?

Sponsored Links
John,
Thank you . I will investigate further. I was hoping to avoid lifting the floor!

There is no need to lift floorboards.

Whatever way the sockets are wired - correctly or not - there must be one socket or other accessory with only one cable.
Then, by testing, you can determine where that cable originates.

Whatever way the sockets are wired - correctly or not - there must be one socket or other accessory with only one cable. Then, by testing, you can determine where that cable originates.
Indeed - unless it's a very unusual circuit arrangement (which is obviously unlikely, even if not impossible).

Kind Regards, John

In the (ex Council) house that I grew up in all the upstairs sockets were on the ring. All the downstairs sockets were spurs, usually connect off the socket immediately above.

Strangely the ring was wired in 4mm2 T&E. In actual fact all the radials (immersion heater & electric shower) were also in 4mm2

Send pictures, we may be able to guess what what may have been done, and you can then check it.

In the (ex Council) house that I grew up in all the upstairs sockets were on the ring. All the downstairs sockets were spurs, usually connect off the socket immediately above.
Solid concrete ground floor, I expect.

We don't even know this is a ring. It could be 20 amp radial.

Or it could have been done at the time 2 sockets were allowed on a spur, and as we know regs are not retrospective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back