Ring or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just bought a house, I'm looking to extend the ring main but not 100% sure.

I have unscrewed the socket in bedroom, there are 3 wires going in, I believe that two are part of the ring main and the other I suspect is powering a fan heater in bathroom.

Would I be right in believing I have found the ring main and can go ahead.

Mike :?:

Sponsored Links
If you have found three cables, each with with wires (most likely red, black, and green&yellow sheathed copper) then you might have found a socket that is on the ring and has a spur off it.

If you have a continuity tester pt a multimeter, you can see which (if any) are the ring cables - switch off the power and verify that the circuit is dead and that your tester works, then take the wires out of the terminals of the socket and test continuity - if a ring, there should be continuity acrooss the two reds, and across the two blacks. There will not be continuity with the spur. (There must also be continuity across the earths, but there is often continuity across earths that are not part of a ring. this is normal.)

If you want to take a spur, take it from a socket that doesn't already have a spur on it.

Or enlarge the ring.

Thanks for that :D

Have a meter, will check whats what, need 2 sockets so will extend ring.

Its an old house so just needed a little reassurance before starting.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back