Ring or Spur???Spur or Ring

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HIys folks

I had two double sockets in my kitchen one on my left wall and one straight ahead.

Now kitchen has been removed and the socket that was straight ahead has been removed leaving just the wire hanging(wall has also gone). so i know only have a double socket on my left wall.

new kitchen is only going on the left wall but i need four double and two single sockets one of which if for the hard wired cooker. can i just join straight into the old socket and carry on down the wall and terminate at the end or do i need to bring it back to the original socket.

it will get checked by a sparky just need to save some pennies along the way

cheers

Sponsored Links
it will get checked by a sparky

why do they always say that?

As I'm sure you know, electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable work.

you mention a cooker

Is it a cooker or is it an oven? does it have an electric hob (rings) or gas? what's the power rating?

it will get checked by a sparky

why do they always say that?

As I'm sure you know, electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable work.

you mention a cooker

Is it a cooker or is it an oven? does it have an electric hob (rings) or gas? what's the power rating?

I guess its to avoid the your going to kill yourself comments you may get on some other forums.

The cooker is a range with a gas hob and 2 electric ovens a fan and an conventional but i cant find any info on the net regarding power consumption its a hotpoint eg100 just in case

2 electric ovens means it probably takes about 20Amps so will not run off a 13A socket. there will be a manufacturers rating plate either on the back or inside an oven door. It needs its own Cooker Radial Circuit.

these are usually run in 6mm cable so you can change to a single all-electric oven later if you want. If the kitchen is big and someone might want to put a big all-electric range cooker there one day, run it in 10mm

Sponsored Links
You also say ONE cable dropping to the socket.......

Depending on circuit characteristics, this does not sound like it can be extended to serve extra sockets.....

The sparky you will be getting in to check this would be able to let you know if this cable is suitable or not :D

one cable dropping to the old socket(is that a spur)
however upon removing the socket on the left i have i have 3 cables(is this the ring)

I didnt want to get the sparky round just to check the cable and i didnt want to put the wrong cable in etc then call him round..

EDIT: ok its only got two together one is for the switch to the old thermostat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back