Rip Off Of The Week??

Sponsored Links
The guy lives in a flat above a property that I was doing some work on.
Why did he pay £1800 ? because thats what the bloke charged him :confused:

He was sourced from Yellow Pages and charged out at £75 per hour plus VAT.

The fault described was a loss of hot water, there is no gas at the property and the only source of hot water is from the cylinder, the cylinder was not leaking. I suspect that it was the element because the water is really hard around my area and elements go on a regular basis.

If the cylinder in the flat that I was working on is the same as the one above it is a common type available from local merchants.

Why do you doubt my words Softus.

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but have done a lot of plumbing for things like this in the past and there is hardly any skill involved. I would have thought a £50 call out charge would be enough.

I am not a plumber but have done a lot of plumbing for things like this in the past and there is hardly any skill involved.
Leaving aside your slightly quirky definition of the word "skill", it doesn't matter whether or not any of it is requred on this job. If you engage a tradesperson then you do it on their terms and, within reason, pay their going rate.

I would have thought a £50 call out charge would be enough.
Enough for what? How long do you think the job would take? What overheads do you think need to be covered?

would you say there is no skill in mechanics, carpentry, bricklaying, plastering or electrics? you haven't a clue. . . . .

would you say there is no skill in mechanics, carpentry, bricklaying, plastering or electrics? you haven't a clue. . . . .

You miss the point, of course there is a lot skill in all of those things including plumbing, but the for the job this person was charged seems stupid. I have done all our washing machine plumbing and it is all scew fit connectors designed for the DIYer it is all very easy.

I have been charged £50 for entitrely new gas connections by Corgi regerstired plumnbers so the price this person was chargeed for a simple job (compared to say a new gas fitting) seems stupid.

You miss the point, of course there is a lot skill in all of those things including plumbing.

joydivision
make your mind up, you said there is hardly any skill earlyer

You miss the point, of course there is a lot skill in all of those things including plumbing, but the for the job this person was charged seems stupid.
No, he doesn't miss the point, nor is anyone except you being stupid.

I am not a plumber but have done a lot of plumbing for things like this in the past and there is hardly any skill involved.
Leaving aside your slightly quirky definition of the word "skill", it doesn't matter whether or not any of it is requred on this job. If you engage a tradesperson then you do it on their terms and, within reason, pay their going rate.

I would have thought a £50 call out charge would be enough.
Enough for what? How long do you think the job would take? What overheads do you think need to be covered?

COMPLETE RIP OFF!!!!!

i wouldl charge that to fit the damn washing machine, and plumbing and electrics to it...

to change that kinda tap should only be £30-50 quid standard rates by anyones standards

COMPLETE RIP OFF!!!!!

i wouldl charge that to fit the damn washing machine, and plumbing and electrics to it...

to change that kinda tap should only be £30-50 quid standard rates by anyones standards

Minimum "Service call" is $175.00 plus parts

Presumably you charge only for the rounds that you actually fire?

Sponsored Links
Back