Ripping up marble garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have inherited an aesthetically pleasing marble garden. It is however not very practical. Especially now that we have a little one.

So the plan is to have it taken up and turf the area. My question to the forum is firstly; what do you think it is worth? And secondly if you were in my shoes what would you do a) attack it with a sledgehammer b) try and sell it as a you take it up, you keep it deal. C) pay someone to take it up and sell the slabs separately. If so then what would be my target 'customer'?

I'm pretty clueless at the moment.

Sponsored Links
slabs are much better for whizzing on a scooter than grass.
water can be dangerous for a few years, but you can drain that temporarily.
if you must get rid of it, yes it is probably worth something; if all else fails, put it on freecycle.

You could cover it with child friendly artficial grass until the little one is old enough to be safe on a hard surface. Child friend does not have sharp edges that lacerate skin but is not so hard wearing as the non friendly type.

Thanks guys but the marble is going. Its impractical and dangerous and not my cup of tea.

Sponsored Links
I would try lifting a few see how hard they are to get up intact. If they come up easily then they could be worth a few quid.

Selling them may be the hard part very few people will know their worth. Local landscapers may be a better bet than joe public as they will know the actual value of them if they can be relaid.

Its worth finding out exactly what they are.

I'd defiantly be thinking about taking them up to sell on but as its been mentioned above the majority of the joe public will not know the value of them but me personally I'd be tempted to take them up and try them on eBay, preloved and gumtree if there isn't any luck there look for a local reclaim yard we have one local to us and they love buying stuff like this and old chimneys etc.

Any money back off them is a bonus to put towards the turf also if you just smash them up with a hammer you will gain the cost of a skip to remove the waste so you will find a saving there or atleast some sort of saving if you still need a skip you may well get away with a smaller one if you can sell them on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back