Rising Damp - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All, I purchased my home a few years ago, and it has a double garage built onto the house. House and garage was built in 2000. The house is fine, and built to a very high standard, however upon entering the garage, you go down a step of approx 10 inches. Problem is, the DPC was laid on the same level as the house.

the garage floor is 10 inches under the DPC, and I have rising damp up to where the DPC is fitted.

I want to fix this somehow, but few builders even want to look at it. The current garage floor is power floated, with a very high ceiling.

If I was to raise the floor to the same level as the house, would this solve the problem?

DPC creams have been thought of, but the internal garage floor is level with the ground outside.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't have rising damp up to the DPC. Any damp below the DPC is normal and is not rising damp.

The damp you have is coming from the ground behind the wall, and natural dampness from wall in contact with the foundations and ground. No DPC injection will stop it, and only some sort of elaborate tanking system will do (as used in basements) but that wont be at all practical for that little bit of wall, but if its that important, then look into tanking systems.

Bear in mind that anything you paint onto the front of a wall, gets pushed off by dampness coming through a wall

If I was to raise the floor to the same level as the house, would this solve the problem?

Garage floors are required to be below attached house floors so that, for example, leaking petrol is retained in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back