Rising damp - bathroom

AlR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm redecorating my bathroom and after removing the tiles and bath have discovered what seems to be a rising damp problem. The tiles fell off without much effort, which I believe is due to the damp rising up the wall and affecting the adhesive.

I've attached a picture to this thread. This was taken about 2 weeks after everything was removed and the room left to air. Both of the walls featured are internal - the one on the left to the internal hall way and the one at the top of the picture to the enclosed communal hallway.

It's a ground floor flat.

Is the problem coming from the foundations?

Any help on what the cause could be, and any possible solutions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Rising damp is a myth, though it certainly looks as though your wall floor joint is being affected by external water. Could do with a few more pics of the other side of those walls

Given that the walls are internal its possible that the cause is rising damp - have you carefully examined the other sides of the walls in question for signs of damp - probe any skirtings?
Is the whole ground floor of the house a solid floor?

You have gypsum plaster and it will all have to be hacked off and replaced with a 3:1 sand & lime mix. Remove the wood fixings.
When you are back to bare bricks then post photos please.

Since that photo was taken the damp patches have reduced more. Photo attached. It took about another 2 weeks to get this stage, so about a month in total since the bath and tiles were removed.

Seems like it's not a major damp problem until the ventilation is removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Its irrelevant - I've suggested above what you should do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back