Rising damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here is a problem regarding rising damp on a wall….simply enough but a bit awkward to resolve for the following reasons………….

The damp is on a holiday home abroad so my time is restricted as only there 3 weeks in the year, and I have other `jobs` to do when there so time limited.
The building is only single skin as they are built for summer weather (9 months of year)
They do not have a damp proof course.
If I do nothing then it takes about an hour to scrape the wall and repaint once a year, that’s my current solution to the problem.

Picture below…

A= The wall where the rising damp is rises about 2 feet up the wall internally
B= This is (I believe) the main foundations which is a concrete base on which the house
is built and leaves a sort of pathway about 3 feet wide around the building (concrete and not tiled), this is
where I believe the source of the rising damp is originating from.

You will note that the tiles on section A are not `grouted`, I am doing a section each time I visit and this might go part way to solving the problem as it will give an extra skin.

2mrbiol.jpg

Anyone got any ideas that might give a quick fix or help improve if not cure the problem. Please bear in mind my time out there is limited and certain products may not be easily or readily available.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I think I can see a large discoloured area on that "corner" part of wall.

Is there a leaky gutter or pipe above it?

I have checked that out already and although it does appear to be discoloured ( I think rust, something leaning against it at some time) There are no pipes above that area and nothing else that could be leaking.
For some strange reason guttering is not allowed on the buildings!

Is there a possibility that rain could be collecting on that exposed concrete rectangle, and soaking into the foot of the wall? Does it have any run-off slope?

Sponsored Links
I suspect there is water gathering there as the rains are very heavy for 2 months of the year, maybe not so much gathering as constantly wet. I do intend to tile all along that concrete `path`but probably wont have the time for the next couple of years due to lack of time out there ad with other jobs still to do.
There is no noticable run off angle.

Quicker than tiling would be to lay a layer of fine concrete with a bit of a run-off. Or even prop a bit of corrugated iron or a bin-cabinet over it.

Hmm, no damp proof course :(. In my opinion, you really need to install one if you have time. Heavy rainfall will be soaking the surrounding Earth, causing damp to penetrate through concrete base. Only options I can suggest is raking out a mortar joint border with a chainsaw and installing some form of DPC.

Anyone who knows: Would this pose a threat to the structure of the house though if the mortar beds are removed?

I appreciate the lack of time you have there, but doing this is vital to prevent the problem from escalating.

Is there an air vent in the room? I do actually see an air vent in the picture, but is this in the room with the damp problem?

What about tanking the internal wall with a product such as synthaproof or similar? Maybe worth a try.

Or even prop a bit of corrugated iron or a bin-cabinet over it.

It's worth doing this too as a makeshift while you are away.

Heavy rainfall will be soaking the surrounding Earth, causing damp to penetrate through concrete base. Only options I can suggest is raking out a mortar joint border with a chainsaw and installing some form of DPC.

House in turkey

I agree the cause, the structure will be concrete columns for strength then the spaces filled in with one skin brick and skimmed over, the chainsaw seems a bit extreme for the moment.
That is not a vent you se its a window shutter, but hey trust me on this one it is well ventilated I dont think there is a single door or window that is draught proof. 2 inch gaps under doors etc is the norm.

I did leave some bowls of salt next to the `damp` wall hoping it will soak up some of the moisture in the air befor I left 2 weeks ago.

Someone on here might offer to do it if you provide all the materials, and give them the use of your holiday home during the work and a week after :D

Probably not much help, but why have you got a holiday home in a country that gets damp anyway?

We can get rain here, buy somewhere where its sunny and dry for holidays.

If the building is not built for damp prevention internally, then try and remove the damp externally. Coat the wall with something like Thompsons, seal the joint at the bottom of the wall and concrete slab, fit some land drains to lower the ground moisture level.

Or dry line it and fit an airbrick in the damp wall

Woody ha ha , I wish. Turkey has virtually no rain from may til Novemeber and temps well in excess of 100 f Its just end Dec- end Feb that all hell lets loose and they have high winds and around 7 inches of rain per month. 90% of the houses have rising damp the exeptions being some apartments if you are above ground level. Its a problem the Turks just accept and to be honest as I am never there at that time I can live with it, but if I can improve the situation then thats even better.
I have had some good ideas from you guys and will look to try some of them when next out in May.

thanks

One thing I have done, if you look at the picture you can see a downpipe that exits on the concrete, I fitted a right angle `turn`and extended this pipe so it exits over the grass rather than the concrete.

juco

JohnD's
a sound good lad here....
for a trip out to your place .......
doing a bit of bish bosh on the sly sorting it for you , it wants tanking inside like a shower room , FACT ....

btw
I got a few old tiler buddies in Altinkum , nr Bodrum , who are damp proofing holiday homes a metre up internal walls with Bal /an cissum ,lol
they are like GODs there with ex pats wanting these probs sorted ,lol

Like that GOD........Priapus or summat :?: He were a Geek god I think

Nige F
they might be but each on 3k/£ a week there ...4hrs /4day week ....;)

as tebbit told me , in the 80s , I pillaged/plounded/raped Down London..

an now retired , lol ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back