Rising Damp or not?

30 Dec 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We have an victorian ground floor tenement flat that has mould appearing on the inside of the external walls of both the bedroom and living room (both have the wall running along the front of the property. This rises from the bottom of the wall up a couple of feet.

I am planning to get a damp specialist in to look at it, but thought I would get some thoughts on the board first.

In the autumn there was water penetration to the tenement as the gutters needed clearing of leaves. At around the same time this problem appeared. The gutters were cleared back in October, but this problem has continued to get worse.

Is this likely to be rising damp (coincidental to the other problem) or could it be linked and that the water continues to penetrate. We bought the flat around 15 months ago and it looks like the walls have been strapped, but there have been no signs of damp until the autumn.
Sponsored Links
'damp' and 'specialist' in the same sentence, sounds like a recipe for a rip-off to me.

p.s. RISING damp does not exist. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links