Both Rising and Penetrating damp in house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Damp Issues

Hi All,

I have damp issues in the the front room of a c1920s terraced house, I wonder if you can advise please?

I believe I may have both rising and penetrating damp. Rising, judging by the peeling, and 'furring' of the lower walls around the bay, and part of the adjacent wall (on side with the neighbour).

I had originally thought the it was all rising, until some staining appeared about 8ft up the wall. It didn't occur to me until a long time later that this was actually because of damage in the render and mortar outside. The damage was hidden behind a wide gutter outlet, and the water has been splashing into it all this time.

I must confess I have been negligent in leaving it this long (about 2-3 years)- the room is seldom used, and the damage hidden by furniture.

So in short - my questions were -

1. A few of the damp places I have called appear to say they only deal with the rising and not the penetrating. Do i need to get separated trades for both, or wait til i find someone wiling to address both?

2. If I patch the front of the house behind the guttering to make it secure - will i need to have dried out the water that went in all this time somehow?

3. Any ball park figures on approximate cost, or anything good to be aware of before confirming a tradesman? (3 bed terraced house in East London)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back